Monday, October 22, 2018

LEARNING TO USE A NEW MEDIUM

STILL LIFE IN ACRYLIC
ADVANCED 3-D ART
acrylic paint in tubes, brushes & water on canvas

My first experience with acrylic was not good.
It was in junior college and we were told what to buy,
then left on our own to figure out how to use it.
The teacher would disappear for the entire class.
There were no demonstrations,
no discussions, no critiques.
It was a big fail.
And of course I thought it was me.
So before I have the students work in acrylic,
I have them paint realistically in Tempera first in the 4th Quarter of the Beginning 2-D class.
Even though the paint binders are completely different,
the drying time is similar,
FAST!
You must work quickly.
So it's a pretty natural transition to acrylic by the time the kids reach the 3rd year level.
Both media clean up with water,
the only difference is is that if you wait too long to rinse the acrylic paint from your brush,
the Polymer base (glue) will dry in the brush,
leaving it a dead solider.
This is the work of senior Samantha Tun.
She was my sole 3rd year 20-d student last year.
I had Sam do several small samplers first,
3" by 3"
all in different styles,
large stokes versus small,
points versus hatchure strokes,
and different shading techniques:
Monochromatic, Analogous and Complimentary. 
When she felt comfortable I asked her to set up her own Still Life.
Sam took to the acrylic like a duck to water and this was her result.
I was really impressed with her skill level and craftsmanship
 and everyone enjoyed her Still Life she had set up with her sketchbook,
 diary nail polish and alarm clock.
The life of an art student.

1 comment:

  1. The dimensionality in the clock face really caught my eye ... and I love how the wood grain is used to such good effect.

    ReplyDelete