Monday, October 1, 2018

FOR YOU LIZ FROM TEXAS

BEFORE & AFTER
BEGINNING 2-D ART
graphite on paper

I get so many great responses when I show off these Before & After Drawings,
especially from my student's faithful follower Liz Ackert from I'm Going to Texas blog fame.
I teach drawing out of Dr. Betty Edward's classic book
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain,
and take my beginners thru the first half,
 and my Intermediates thru the second half of her book.
I started teaching with her exercises after I snuck into her college class at CSULB 
as a Non Art Major  Ha!
And even though I already knew how to draw,
I really didn't know how to teach others to do it.
The big jump in my own levels was astounding to me,
and as you will see
the results here are just as remarkable as you will see from this group from last school year.
Enjoy,
and prepare to be shocked!!

It takes about 4 1/2 months to get the kids thru the drawing exercises to this finished After Portrait.
(above right)
I try to pair them up with someone they do not know (less chance of being distracted).
I ask them to draw each other in profile and do the best they can without any instruction
(drawing on the left).
I never know at what level they will come in at.
Sometimes as low as 1st & 2nd grade all the way up thru about 9th grade drawing level.
Then I don't allow the kids to see their Before
 until they are mounted next to their Afters at Open House.
It's so much fun watching them react to their improvements.
And there is always improvement!

This first one was done by senior Jessica Mones of 8th grader Brandon Delgado.
Remarkable right??

Here we have 8th grader Summer Lee
making a huge jump in skill levels drawing 8th grader Risha Cenidoza .
Lovely Summer!

And how about this one by senior David Tung capturing 8th grader Siddhant Watwani.
Dang!

Junior Esther Ahn has come in with really nice skills
and is now drawing almost photorealistically of junior Kiana Sanchez.

This is junior Ellya Gholmieh being drawn by 8th grader Madison Plotkin.
Very Rubenesque wouldn't you say of both.
Amazing work Madison!

And this is the spitting image of junior Phoebe Lao drawn by 8th grader Eric Ren.
Wow Eric,
you nailed her!

What a huge jump this is for junior Steffany Reyes.
Tremendous job woman!

And make sure to look closely at the folds in the hoodie in the After of 8th grader Tin Pham.
This last piece was drawn by junior Manishka Ranjit who also came in with some drawing skills.
But man oh man,
has her style become so much more realistic and clean.

Way to go young ones!!!

2 comments:

  1. Well, how cool is it to log on to see my name emblazoned across the top of my favorite assignment? And can't help wondering if I'm being prodded a bit to open up my own (dusty) copy of Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. Someday Teach, I promise!

    But for now, what struck me after a first and then a second pass, is the difference in the (lack of) angle to each head in the before pictures, contrasted with the more lifelike inclinations in the after pictures. Likewise, how the after pictures fill the pages with so much to see.

    My coffee has gotten cold as I look a third, and then a fourth time. Time well spent. Here's what I (especially) loved ...

    Jessica makes me "feel" Brandon's hair, which looks so much like my grandson's (we just got back from a week-long visit)

    Summer makes me wonder what Risha is looking at as she listens thru her ear bud

    David shows how radically this instruction has informed his understanding of anatomical proportion in his after portrait of Siddhant

    Esther gives a wonderful sense of light playing on Kiana's hair

    And as good as Ellya's before portrait of Madison is, her after portrait shows how much more there is to see

    Eric makes the upsweep of Phoebe's hair and its fall from the elastic absolutely believable

    Steffany's nuanced folds of cloth are dimensional even with as light a touch as she used

    And Manishka's treatment of Tin's glasses, with the subtle shadowing below, are one-upped by that great hard part

    Truly, you all inspire me with the time and effort so clearly demonstrated here. Thank you, as always!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yes young Jedi, time for you to get started on Betty's book. The observations and insights that you bring to the table are so right on and the kids enjoy hearing from you so very much Liz Thank you!

      Delete