Friday, October 12, 2018

A NEW ASSIGNMENT

PORCELAIN WATERCOLORED PLATES
CERAMICS I
porcelain clay, ceramic watercolors, transparent glaze

On September 16th I put up a post of my own work
that was an example of a new assignment I had tried last year.
I personally loved doing the demo so much that after the kids left that day 
I made about 20 more for Xmas presents for my staff here at Whitney.

But before I even did that I had a favorite Ceramics student from 2 years ago,
Eunice Shim,
try out the idea.
The piece above was her trial,
and it turned out so well,
I knew the next years kids would like it.
And they did.
The results were lovely.
Let's take a look see.

This first one was made by junior Sara Ryave.
I loved the interior design she embossed with her own stamps 
that she and the others made in their 3rd assignment just for this project.
And then the way she used the ceramic watercolors was brilliant.
So pretty Sara.
Here it is again but at a different angle.


Next we have the lovely work of junior Dustine Ansiboy.
First note the delicate stamps she made,
then the way she applied the sensitive watercolor,
and lastly the tiny little bits of colored sparkles.
She got that by sprinkling tiny chards of colored glass
over top the piece before it went into final glaze firing.
Love it!!

I've got a couple others for you to see as well.
I really liked the edge treatment that senior Michelle Hwang put around the outside of her plate,
as well as the tiny square stamp she used to highlight interior.
And senior Augustine Lee used the back end of his bug pick (needle tool)
 to stamp around the outside edge of his main stamps,
and the needle point of his pck around the interior edge of stamps.
Cool!

Both senior Ashley Scott and senior Renee Kim did fun edge treatments as well.
And stamped text is always a great touch.

What I didn't do last year that I will this next is give the kids a watercolor lesson
 with real watercolor paints so they can practice applying them first on paper
 before they go to the clay's bisqueware surface.
I live and learn from one year to the next.

2 comments:

  1. I love the light touch of color in Eunice's piece ... it looks to be so simple, but the care taken in crafting it is obvious.

    Likewise, Sara's colors are so appealing.

    And I'm impressed (ha!) by that stem in the middle of Dustine's piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Sara and Dustine's pieces, they were so gorgeous and thankfully photographed really well to show them off. And the subtle way Eunice applied the color was exquisite.

      Delete