Tuesday, July 19, 2016

ROUND & ROUND WE GO

COIL POTS
CERAMICS I
clay, glazes & oxides

Coils of clay,
lots and lots of them rolled by hand.
But let's also do something interesting with them.
Spirals, stamp them, ball them up, separate them with negative spaces.
The list is long as you will see what these critical thinkers came up with.

We start with junior Kyle Sheu,
one of the nicest, 
most attentive and respectful young men I got to teach last school year.
The height requirement was at least 8 inches.
Kyle worked so hard that his was over 12 inches high.
And beautifully glazed.

This little cutie was created by junior Cathy Huang.
I believe she called it a "Norwal".
Correct me Cath if I'm wrong or messed up on the spelling.
She told me the backstory of this guy,
but I'm sorry to say I've forgotten.
But I loved the piece so much that I purchased it at Open House 
to teach with it next year.
Hopefully we will her back from her with an explanation.

Junior Nathan Lam,
one of my strongest critical thinkers,
came up with this fun tiki design.

And next up we have senior Andrew Chen and junior Anand Parthiban.
I really like the contrast that Andrew used in glazing and staining his piece.
And I felt that Anand's lip ending was brilliant.
It creates so much movement and directs the eye back down to take a second look at his pot.

These two lovelies were done by junior Edward Malacon and senior Francis Lee.
Loved how Edward moved his blues from cobalt to turquoise along that upper area.
And check out the moon baby (abstract figure) that Francis wrapped around her ending.
Very cool!

The dramatic beauties we see next belong to senior Casey Yoon and junior Brian Hu.
Both so very different,
both equally stunning in their designs and finishing.

And lastly senior Jonathan Hsu.
A very unique and more sculptural piece,
and a great way to end this post.

5 comments:

  1. Andrew and Anand's pieces look like two figures in conversation ... and with apologies to the guys because there's no way it was intentional, what came to mind were two very old references: Carmen Miranda and Toby jugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! It's Cathy.
    I built my pot in the shape of a narwhal, which is an animal like a whale with a long tusk in front, since it seemed like a fun shape to work with.
    As always, I'm enjoying the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cath! So glad you are following the blog this summer. Thank you for clarifying the shape of your pot both with the spelling and meaning.

      Delete
    2. Hey Cath! So glad you are following the blog this summer. Thank you for clarifying the shape of your pot both with the spelling and meaning.

      Delete
    3. I have to say that before reading the text, the top of Cathy's piece made me think of a star-nosed mole (which is a very odd creature) ... narwhal is by far the better referent

      Delete