Friday, July 8, 2016

PINCH ME

PINCH POT DEMO
FOR CERAMICS I
clay, glaze & oxide

Occasionally during the school year I have a bit of free time 
and reach into my cupboard and grab one of my demo. pots to glaze.
I made time to glaze several this year that I will be sharing this summer.
One of my favorites was this pinch pot I beleive I made last school year.
(I loose track)
Anyways in the pinch pot demo 
I try to think of as many things as possible to embellish the clay with.
Because as I always tell my kids,
it's all about SURFACE DESIGN.
Anyone can make a little clay bowl but it's what you do with it that makes it special.
In this one I paddled the shape with a textured paddle,
then pushed in four corners with the edge of a wooden rib.
Then I turned the rib and used its tip to push in a repetitious design
I also added feet for more elegance,
and then steel nails to funky it up.
I also manipulated the top edge for more flow and visual interest.
And to glaze I always like a contrast between stained clay and glazed clay.
In it's finished state this measures about 3 1/2" by 3".
A wee thing.

3 comments:

  1. Upside down it looks like a sea squirt ... what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so organic…you know how to do SO many things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceramics is my major art form since I was 16 years old, and all my electives in college were in clay. But I also love textiles. Been weaving since I was in 2nd grade :)

      Delete