Thursday, May 24, 2018

NEW ASSIGNMENT - PART 2

HOOP EMBROIDERY ON FELT
BEGINNING 3-D ART
embroidery hoops, felt, perle' cottons, crewel or embroidery needles

Well I hope you enjoyed the Hoop Embroideries from yesterday's post.
There were so many outstanding pieces
 that it was just too hard for me to pick only a few to showcase.
So let's take a look-see at the others I have picked for you.

We start Part 2 with junior Angelica Luza
and her fish & bones.
Everyone loved her quirky subject matter as well as her lovely stitching.
The chain stitch makes for a really swell filler stitch.
If you recognize Angelica's name 
it's because she has also been showcased this year 
for her pieces in the Intermediate 2-D art class.
A talented young woman.

This next one was crafted by junior Dustine Ansiboy.
It was so clever of her to make the braid separate from the felt,
this way you could make the young woman a completely different do.if you wanted to.
An interactive piece.
Hummm....next year?

And vivacious little 8th grader Annie Nguyen created this delightful piece
with the title "Art 2017".
So very sweet Annie!

And oh my, 
what do we have here?
Complex thinker and 8th grader Sophia Oporto embroidered almost an entire piano!
What a hard worker this young one is to pull off something so difficult!!

And check out the gorgeous design and craftsmanship in this next one by senior Sophie Yang.
Everything is so delicately and perfectly placed and executed.

8th grader Kira Curry always comes up with highly unique ideas.
When I look at this I see a young girl looking into a bowl and out floats some scary eyeball.
But when I double-checked with her today, 
she told me it's a  mermaid holding a dolphin with a jelly fish floating nearby.
Wow, completely different interpretations.
She spent a lot of extra time putting in all those French Knots and Satin stitches.

I wish I had a better pix of this next one.
We all loved how the balloon strings trailed off the edge of the hoop.
And the craftsmanship that 8th grader Shivani Kedila displayed was impeccable.

But like I always have a tendency to do, 
I try to save the very best for last.
And as much as I loved all the others,
it was this one that called to me the most by junior Rachel Tibayan.
I think it's because reminds me of a bygone era,
it transports me to a time 
when women used to sell their wooden baskets full of flowers on the streets, 
and probably still do in some European countries.
It just really spoke to me.

I hope you all have enjoyed seeing these beginners put their needles into work.
It's so satisfying for me to know that I've shared with them a life skill.

1 comment:

  1. Another group meriting close attention ...

    Angelica's chain stitch scales give a wonderful sense of dimensionality and her fly stitch bones are grin inducing ... Dustine's loose locks made me think of Meghan Markle's wedding updo ... Annie's rainbow ground works with its looooong satin stitches ... Sophia's keyboard is wonderful as are the curtains in the background ... Sophie's starfish is finely made and her scallops made me think of Hazel's recent Handstories ... Kira's densely worked knots of warm and cool color must have taken a multitude of thread changes ... Shivani's sun is so carefully worked, its rays a counterbalance to the balloon strings ... and Rachel's paving stones with the splash of water are fun, but props for that very well-placed button

    ReplyDelete