Monday, September 3, 2018

THANK YOU GLENNIS DOLCE

SHIBORI
7TH GRADE ART WHEEL - 2ND QUARTER - 2017-2018
white paper towels, Indigo vat, washed cotton squares, rubber bands, string

This project is so in vogue right now, 
even Target is selling Indigo dyed and patterned pillows, sheets, etc.
I began working with Indigo several years back 
when I took a class with Shibori Girl,
Glennis Dolce.
You can see her blog under Artists I Follow on the right column of my blog.
Her work is quite remarkable,
She usually takes a trip to Japan every year to collect fabrics and learn more techniques.
My 7th graders love this assignment because they get to turn their hands blue,
or not (I have gloves for them to wear).
Plus it's so much fun to see who does the most amount of dips
and achieves the darkest, blackest blue.
Of all the Shibori pieces done by 7th graders,
 I think this one by Kayla Vicencio is probably one of my all time favs.
I just adore the design she used and the ranges of values she achieved.
It took my breathe away the first time I saw it,
and still continues to do so.

This next one by Kayla Hamakawa is also really cool.
It almost reminds me of butterfly wings but going in opposite directions.

Krystal Lin got her piece to go in the perfect traditional tye-dye circle within a circle design,
and it almost looks like it's being kissed by the sun's rays.

Esther Lee used a more contemporary design technique
 where you pinch the cloth in a spot then start to twist into a cinnamon roll and bind.
It reminds me a bit of a spiral sea shell. 

Another favorite of mine from this group was created by Salome Agbaroji.
Isn't this just the most gorgeous example of a jelly fish floating in water?
A stunning work Salome.

And if you are wondering how some of the kids got those wonderful rusty shapes,
they had an option to wrap or clamp rusty objects I've collected for them into their cloth designs.
 This super cool piece was done by Zoe Hoksbergen.

2 comments:

  1. The rust inclusions in these pieces are wonderful! As I look at the indigo patterns, I try to imagine how they were accomplished and am totally baffled by their complexity.

    Sidenote: I was so hoping to take an indigo Shibori class with Glennis Dolce at the quilt conference in Houston, but sadly she is not teaching it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame about Glennis, she is a wealth of information. and she has a ton of visuals from Japan.

    ReplyDelete