Tuesday, September 11, 2018

A PLACE OF HONOR

It was a bittersweet pill for me to swallow,
 this last school year,
 when I learned that one of Whitney High's all-time favorite and most respected teachers,
Rod Ziolkowski,
was going to retire.
I was crushed because he has always been my touchstone here at Whitney,
a mentor,
a colleague to run things by,
a friend who supported my art students and myself thru thick and thin,
one of the most gifted and brightest shining stars I have ever met in this educational field.
He could teach any subject,
play numerous instruments.
He is also an actor
who runs our multi-million dollar theater.
An artist, a photographer and savvy on the computer,
and so, so much more.
A honest to God Renaissance man.
I honestly have never met anyone as dedicated to his students, this school and his family.
He has definitely been a father figure to me even though I am probably older than him.
And I thank you Rod for your patience with me,
for not judging me when I'd do stupid stuff
(we both knew I'm capable of that),
and for congratulating me on a job well done.
You are one hell of a human being!!

Rod and Nancy's wedding photo atop a Sam Maloof table in their home.
And my ceramic piece.

So as a parting gift I wanted to give him something I had made.
But I hadn't much time to start from scratch so I went back into my archives
and found this Slab Footed Bowl I had made as a demo. piece in the 1990's
or early 2000's
which I had never glazed.
It was in it's Bisqued state,
handbuilt rather then wheel thrown,
stamped while plastic,
pierced along the format edge,
& draped over a newspaper mold with added feet.
I had also inlaid Porcelain balls and stamped those as well.
And even though I had never glazed it,
I had always pulled it out to teach with because I was very fond of it.
So for Rod, 
I decided to finish it,
a big deal for me as many of you know by now.
(I rarely finish anything, but I love to start many things).
So here is the glazed, finished work.
The camera didn't quite show the true color of the glaze.
It is a bit more celedon/turquoise in person.
You can see that better in the first photo of it on the table.
And before I put the glaze on it,
 I stained it with Red Iron Oxide to showcase the leaf stamp 
that alumni art student Eleanor Wada made and left behind during the 1980's.
It's been a go to stamp for me since she graduated.
I especially like it curved into the feet below.
You can also see  little pops of the Porcelain on the backside coming thru the inlaid holes.
So anyways,
a long story short,
I gave it to Rod at his retirement party,
hoping he would like it.
To my great delight,
he did!!!
Yesterday his wife Nancy,
who teaches junior high science at our school as well,
showed me the top most picture in this post.
She said Rod wanted me to see where they had placed my piece,
 a place of honor atop their priceless Sam Maloof table.
I was bowled over!
OMG, they own a Maloof table!!!!
Needless to say,
I was THRILLED!!
And humbled to my core that they displayed it sitting on his table.
I studied Mr. Maloof when I was in college.
He was a master woodworker and furniture maker,
one of the top in his field in post war America and the world.
Presidents Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan both owned rocking chairs he made for them.
I just recently drove by an exit in Alta Loma, Ca. off the 210 Fwy.
showing signage to his home/workshop/ gardens and Foundation.'
A must see in my future.
I had no idea it was so close by.

So thank you Rod and Nancy for allowing me to be a special part of your home,
where love lives.

This school will never be the same without your energy and enthusiasm Rod.
You are sorely missed already.
Our first dept. meeting yesterday was not the same without you. 

Much love, good health and happiness in your retirement.

1 comment:

  1. So much love and meaning in this piece ... a perfect gift of self

    ReplyDelete