Monday, September 10, 2018

ASYMMETRY IS KEY

PINCH VASE FORMS
CERAMICS I
clay, glazes, staining oxides

After learning how to make a pinch pot in in the beginning clay class,
we take it one step further and make an enclosed asymmetrical form
by putting two pinch bowls together and paddling them into a pleasing form to the eye.
I do ask them to try for asymmetry because many of them have never tried that before,
and they find it quite appealing.
I'm also requiring added surface design.

This one by junior Sara Ryave was one of my favorites because of the bulbous form,
the beautifully incised designs,
and the way she finished it with colored oxide staining.

I also really liked this next one by junior Dustine Ansiboy
because of that flattened side with the texture showing thru the glaze,
 as well as the way the Rutile Oxide looks over top our Tan glaze.

And this one was so unique in it's form and glazing 
to make it a standout by senior Augustine Lee. 

My eye also really enjoyed this one by junior Lina Kim because she has captured a lot of movement
by pressing the edge of the paddle into the clay's surface 
creating a cocoon looking vase.
I also look at it and see a pregnant Middle Eastern garbed woman.
I'm wondering if Dustine used that as her inspiration.

This can be a fast-paced  & fun technique,
so several of the kids made a couple.
Here are Lina & Dustine again with their extra credit pieces.
The opening for the vase had to be asymmetrically positioned as well,
and required an organic opening;
ripping, folding over, etc.

We end with junior Richard Montes' gently undulating stamped form.
And don't you just love that bit of glaze snaking over the top rim?

I hadn't done this assignment for quite some time so it was really great to bring it back
and see the marvelous works these kids came up with.

1 comment:

  1. I'm truly impressed with how thin the walls of these pinch pots appear to be, judging by the openings in Sara and Dustine's first pots, which also share in some lovely surface design ... in a quick scroll through, I had already "seen" Lina's piece as home to an emergent butterfly ... Augustine's piece, with its flattened side and glazing, is another reminder of 20th century art pottery ... and Richard's piece took me back to our recent journeys through New Mexico. Thanks to all for a wonderful accompaniment to my morning coffee. I could well-imagine tucking sprigs of prairie grass and wildflowers into any or all of your vases.

    ReplyDelete