Wednesday, September 19, 2018

DOODLE OR ZENTANGLE?

LINEAR, PATTERN & TEXTURE W/ WATERCOLOR
7TH GRADE ART WHEEL - 2ND QUARTER - 2017-2018
watercolors, brushes & felt tip markers

So in my day we called it doodling.
We did it while we talked to our friends on the telephone with the cord wrapped around us, 
trying to get as far away from our parents as the cord would reach.
We did it all over our "Peachies" (note folders),
and I especially did it in all my boring classes 
along the edge of my notes in English, Math & Science.
These days it's been elevated into an art form and I see it everywhere I shop.
Books & magazines in the grocery stores, 
 coloring books for adults at the book & crafts stores,
and of course how-to books as well.
It's fun for the kids and teaches them so much about design, patterning & texture.
I like to throw in watercolor as well to give it a beautiful backdrop.
And the kids love the watercolor lesson.

We start with Kayla Vicencio.
I really like how she threw in text with the floral designs and paisleys.

These two were done by Zoe Hoksbergen & Ashlyn Wong.
Both girls used a warm Analogous color scheme.
They put in so much time and effort to craft them and draw in all the lines.
Then more time to fill in some of the shapes as well.
Fabulous work Zoe & Ashlyn!

Some of them are really subtle like Krystal Lin's above,
while others are bold and powerful like Matthew Bautistas.

Loved the color schemes that both Faith Osaji & Daniel Yorba picked (Primary).
Yet each looks so very different.
Both equally as wonderful and powerful.

We end with Salome Agbaroji.
She designed so much movement into her piece.
I almost feel that those spirals are dancing and leaping for joy under a warm Caribbean sun.

Fantastic job all of you.
I'm so proud to show you off to the whirled.

2 comments:

  1. I have commented before about my own experiences with Zentangle and the appreciation I have for the time and pains-taking patience required to pull it off successfully. These are so beautifully done and, as always, I found much to like as I sipped my morning coffee ...

    Kayla's lines are so fluid and sure, hers is a practiced hand

    Ashlyn and Zoe's sun and sunflower got flipped in my mind's eye ... and I couldn't help but notice the A to Z of their names

    Krystal's delicate lace was brilliantly paired with Matthew's fierce rip saw

    Faith's black hole appears to be con-structive rather than de-structive to my mind's eye

    Daniel's landscape of sea and mountains under a compass-rose sun had me zooming in for a closer look

    And on this International Day of Peace, Salome's piece had me humming an old Dylan song ...

    "the answer my friend, is blowin' in the wind, the answer is blowin' in the wind"

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my classes know now that you start your morning with us. You have no idea how special it makes all of us feel! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete