Wednesday, September 5, 2018

FIGURED OUT THAT SENIOR MOMENT

KNIT PILLOW SAMPLER
INTERMEDIATE 3-D ART
wool yarn, cake dyes, umbrella swift, ball winder

A few weeks ago I posted about this assignment 
forgetting that the piece in front of me was mine 
and not my student's,
 senior Rachel Kannampuzha.
Midway through writing the post I finally realized it was my sampler I'd made for my demo.
but then realized that I didn't even remember what happened to it.
Still haven't figured that out,
even after an endless search since then.
But what I did find was Rachel's piece that she made here with her hand dyed yarns below.
The students had a choice about making a scarf or pillow sampler.
For my demo I chose a scarf,
but Rachel here went for a pillow top.
We saw the yarns she dyed as well as her handmade knitting needles 
 towards the end of last school year.
Well here are those yarns knit up and sewn together to make a mini blanket
which in turn she made into a pillow top
(sadly I can't find a photo of that).
This was her very first attempt at knitting,
a very difficult global skill to learn.
She also learned to crochet so she was able to put a border around the whole piece to pull it together.
As I'm looking more closely at it right now,
I believe she also crocheted the samplers together rather then sewed them.
She learned 9 different pattern stitches and was able to put 8 together into a rectangular shape.
Here is a close-up of a Log Cabin sampler,
a 2 by 2 Rib, 
Seed stitch,
Stockinette, Stripping, and Mistaken Rib,
with a bit of the cable showing down below.
What is super difficult when first learning to knit is tensioning your yarn,
but be patient,
and with enough practice,
 you will improve!

No comments:

Post a Comment