Thursday, January 6, 2022

RECENTLY ASKED...

MOSAIC FRAMES
wood base (Michaels), broken up glass and dish shards, tacky or white glue,
grout elf or old retired piece of credit card, acrylic paint and grout

by a middle school teacher aross the country,
 if grouting the mosaic frames is too messy for 7th and 8th graders.
Well,
 I'm going to direct her to these pictures of my seniors (12th graders),
from 2018-19.
Chris Campos and Gabby grouting theirs.
I definitely wouldn't do this with an entire class of 7th graders.
I have found them to not remember multipule instructions 
for a task this tedious and messy.
And I hate to say this but I've found it to be true too many times,
but especailly for the little boys.
I have had 8th graders in my classes,
a handful mixed with the older kids.
 If I'm not paying attention,
the elder ones will catch something right away and help out the youngsters.
The biggest problem with this assignment 
is that none of the powdered or wet grout can go down the sink.
Ever!!!
It all has to be brushed or thrown into the trash can.
You can't even clean your mixing cup or grout elf in the sink. 
 All has to be cleaned with a wet paper towel.
Cuz if you don't it turns into hard cement in the drain pipe
and requires a major pipe refitting.
Has that ever happened in my classes you wonder?
You betcha,
but only one time!
Never more.
Ha ha

I love this picture of Gabby above.
At the time we had to tell her she had black grout smeared all over her face.  
She didn't even realize it.
We were cracking up.

2 comments:

  1. not in the sink, ever? ... I think back to times when I was tempted to try this and boy, oh boy, am I glad I never did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever, ha ha. But it is super fun and one of the students favorite assignments. And everyones turns out well no matter if they come up with a good design or not. So all the kiddos feel good about their pieces. RArely did the kids ever decide to sell theirs at Open House.

      Delete