Friday, January 21, 2022

A LOVELY RESPONSE

Super excited that several of you responded to the Temperature Blanket project 
and to the use of Peace Fleece.

This grouping above was on the Ravelry site which is such a pleasing selection.
Sadly there is no finished blanket to go with this picture.  
Guessing it's still in production.

A quick note if any of you out there are interested in starting this blanket.
I had to go to at least 6 different yarn stores across the nation 
to find all the colors I wanted to use.
I'm guessing there are a lot of people out there doing this project
or something else with Peace Fleece. 
So many of my colors were sold out. 
I actually spent all nite rounding up my choices,
which turned out to be a fun challenge.
I looked up on the Peace Fleece site all the stores that carried their yarns.
They usually sell for $12.60 a skein,
but at one location I had to pay over $15
 for a couple of the colors that weren't found anywhere else. 

So this is the first time I'm  averaging out the cost,
cuz that's how I roll,
ha ha!
Let's say with shipping, tax and handling each skein comes out to about $16 a skein.
The original pattern calls for a full bed size bed blanket (6.5 by 7.5).
But I only wanted a lap blanket so I cut the pattern in half.
I also had to consider that some of our temps for Southern Ca. are more common,
like the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's,
so figuring I'd need 2 skeins for those
(but knowing me I probably ordered way too much)
It looked like at least 19 skeins were needed for half the size blanket. 
Of course it's all a guessing game.
So now,
with all of you,
 for the first time,
I'm figuring out how much I probably spent after spending it.
(of couse I could just look at Pay Pal but it's so much for fun doing it with you guys)
19 times $16.00 is
cough, cough,
$304 big ones.
Yuck!!!!
Oops.
Now remember I'm not a data nerd,
so I'm really hoping my calculations are correct.
This is going to be one hell of an expensive project,
but I rationalize that the money is going to a wonderful cause
(I'm already thinking about what I can make out of the left over yarn,
if indeed I ordered too much)
Tax right off??
Probably not.
Oh well,
I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. I have been exceedingly good at not keeping track of what I've spent over the years ... the art's the thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear I'm not the lone ranger here Liz, ha ha

      I've been e-mailing with the owner of Port Fiber today, scared that I bought way to much yarn and she told me that she used 32-33 skeins to make her's a bedsize blanket. So I've got my fingers crossed that I planned out my numbers correctly. Phew shuu LOL

      Delete
    2. you can always keep going until you use it up (and here I laugh ... we used to watch my great aunt Jean fall asleep whilst knitting ... to which we attributed the always-too-long sleeves of her knitted sweaters)

      Delete