Thursday, January 20, 2022

A TEMPERATURE BLANKET

Recently I was turned on to a new Fiber Store in Portland Maine 
called Port Fiber.
As I was purusing their shop I ran across a yarn that I was introduced to
 maybe a good 20 years ago called Peace Fleece.
Back then it was a combination of American Wool mixed with Russian Wool.
Because I thought the idea a great one I purchased a bit of the yarn
 and made a child's sweater but didn't really like the feel of the wool.
It had a rough hand and was a bit stiff,
not a pleasure to knit with.
So,
 I never bought more.
but always loved the idea of it and wanting to support them.
After reading their current mission statement it looks like they are now combining Navajo Herders sheep (usually Churro but in this case Rambuillet) 
and Texas Mohair goats in combo with wool from Farms back East.
But after seeing these pictures of finished blankets in the Port Fiber shop
created with Peace Fleece,
 I was hooked,
and had to find out more about them.
So off went $10 for a color card
There are about 30 colors and 9 neutrals.

They are called Temperature Blankets and this originated as a 
Crochet-(or Knit)-Along 2 years ago.
You can see more of them on Ravelry if you are interested.
Each blanket represents a daily years worth of temps.,
and they advertise it as a perfect project for data nerds.
Well,
I know I'm not that,
ha ha,
 but the surprise and random outcomes of each blanket had me fascinated.
The outcome is not something I could completely control which I love.
The blanket is worked in stripes with one row of single crochet (or knit)
for each day in a color that represents that day's temperature.
They suggest breaking up the temps. into 5 or 10 degree increments.
I went for 5 so I could use a few more colors.
They recommended10 colors,
 but I only mangaed to narrow it down to 12 colors so I'm working with 5 degree ranges.
Below are my final choices.
Honestly I was tempted to go with the 10 saturated colors 
on the 2nd page of the color card,
but my husband said it looked too blah,
that I needed to add a few other colors to make the blanket pop a bit.
Did I listen to him?
Of course, 
he was probably right.
We'll see.
My degree breakdown looks like this from left to right:

1.  106-111 degrees  Wooly Bear
    2.  100-105 degrees Glasnost Gold
             3.  94-99 degrees  Mourning Dove         
4.  88-93 degrees      Palomino  
      5.  82-87 degrees      Chickie Masla
 6.  76-81 degrees Desert Tundra
           7.  70-75 degrees  Anna's Grasshopper
 8.  64-69 degrees     Baltic Blue
       9.  58-63 degrees  Kalinka Malinka
10. 52-57 degrees  Bonnie Blue
11. 46-51 degrees      Amaranth
 12. 40-45 degrees  Mesa Marble

Don't you just adore the names of the colors?
My favorite is Chickie Masla.


 

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness ... you know I love this ... and now I'm smiling because it was 81 degrees on Wednesday and 24 hours later sleet was falling ...

    anyway ... my brain is cranking away on how I could do this with cloth ... for sure I've got enough thrift store linen shirts I could use ... hmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohhh, cool idea to do this with fabric, can't wait to see what you come up with Liz!

      Delete
  2. I remember having the same feelings about Peace Fleece in the 90's. What a big project this will be! Looking forward to watching it grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear I wasn't the only one who didn't enjoy the hand of the old Peace Fleece Hazel. I just put my fingers thru the new color card again and I'm pretty sure this new combo will be a bit better. I so want to continue to support their efforts with the Navajo Nation. Funny when I went to purchase the colors I selected they were mostly sold out so I ended up going to all the Yarn stores on their stocklist and finally was able to find them all. So 6 different yarn stores are sending me packages. It's great fun waiting fo them to all come thru the mail. In fact one is out for delievery today! Woo Hoo!!!

      Delete