Tuesday, April 18, 2017

LISTEN TO THE MUSIC

BURNISHED WHISTLES
CERAMICS I
clay

I couldn't resist taking this picture of the Ceramics I class crafting their whistles 
and trying so very hard to get them to whistle.
Senior Eunice Shim (standing left) was one of the first to get hers to whistle 
and was going around the room offering up her expertise.
She helped many of the kids understand the concept 
of air being blown thru a tunnel hitting a sharp ledge to split it 
thus creating the whistle sound.
She and senior Marjorie Balaoro (center end) where so good at this very difficult task
that they were able to make an ocarina,
a musical instrument that goes an entire octave.
We were all really impressed!

2 comments:

  1. Okay ,,, silly story time. I have a dish soap dispenser on my kitchen sink which offers no visual cues when you are trying to fill it. None, that is, until it overflows. So one day recently I decided to try blowing across the top to see if I could make a sound like blowing into a soda bottle. Sure enough, it emitted a soft, low tone and as I filled the dispenser, the pitch rose higher and higher. Now I can fill the dispenser without fear of overflowing.

    A soap ocarina on a sliding scale.

    ReplyDelete