Thursday, March 17, 2016

BUSY BEAVERS - PART II

WOOD ANGELS
BEGINNING 3-D ART

I'm hoping you enjoyed yesterday's post
and are ready for more creative goodness.

We start today with senior Jenna Llamas.
She has chosen to work to a beach theme
 in a fun & pleasing complimentary color scheme of orange and blues.
I took a side view shot so you could see her wood burned edging.
Were they required to wood burn somewhere in their piece?
Yes.


Senior Hapshiba Kwon,
and outstanding student in so many arenas,
brought in some of her poetry and love of rain in Eau de Rain
Notice the empty spool that she used for the torso and how she paper colleged it?
And then to go back to the bird's nest unit and used what she learned there to build the umbrella skirt.
Brilliant!
I asked Hapshiba to say a little something about her piece and what inspired her.
So in her own words:

Hello, I’m Hapshiba Kwon, a high school senior, and I will be guest blogging about my piece!

My piece is titled “eau de rain,” a slight play on the “eau de toilette” phrase that I see so often on perfume bottles and colognes. The title has been wood-burned onto the base and stained over with lavender acrylics.

I started off with a small wooden block for my base. It had been pre-stained on the bottom with pink and aqua colors and studded with metallic “stars.” I built my figure on top of this block, fitting a wooden dowel (later collaged with blue tissue paper and music sheets) into a small hole to serve as legs...or rather, one leg :)

Next, I built a wire nest so that I could weave a variety of yarns through it. We learned to use this technique during our bird’s nest project, and I wanted to turn the nest upside down to use as an umbrella. I utilized baby blue, pastel purple, gray, white, and silver yarns to create my umbrella, and then used this color scheme throughout the rest of my piece.
I definitely had the most fun stringing all sorts of beads on wax linen threads to hang around the edges of my umbrella, so as to encapsulate the movement of falling rain.

As for the bodice, I used a tan spool and collaged on top of it with tissue papers and yellowed hymn book pages. I also marbleized white and black clay to create the polymer head, and then stained it with teal metallic compounds for a subtly glittery effect.

To finish off the piece, we all needed to add a special accessory to personalize our figurines. I chose to add a miniature book with one of my poems titled “Little Moments.”

I think my piece strayed quite a bit from what I’d originally had in mind (as per usual), but I enjoyed the assignment because it allowed me to pay attention to small details and also gave me a chance to work with a variety of materials--wood, yarn, wire, clay, beads, and even aluminum foil for the arms. I imagine it on a bedside table in a little girl’s bedroom because of the soft, fairy godmother/rain princess feeling it gives off, but I suppose that’s wishful thinking because my room is a big mess, hahaha.

Thank you for reading ^_^


This next one is English teacher Deliana Park's second piece.
(we saw her first one in yesterday's post)
This piece is so deep that I asked her to write an explanation.
So in her own words:

This bird man is in his office cage,
 locked and  restricted by his own drive to succeed and work long hours
His facial expression is semi shock 
and his color pallid from being indoors.
A dragonfly ironically rests outside his cage, 
beckoning him to come out.
The quotes on his work desk are from Dante's Inferno
 and the epitaph from Fahrenheit 451
 - a contrast of warning (to all who enter)
 and advising (to escape restrictions).

Wow Mrs. Park, 
that was a fascinating read,
a glimpse into your mind.
Thank you for sharing your message with us,
and for putting so much of yourself,
and your time and energy into this class.
We love having you here with us.


This next beauty was made by junior Insha Khan.
She took great pains in constructing this exquisite dress
with all the lovely details.

Incredibly gifted 8th grader Sydney Eng constructed this amazing chest board 
to go with her figure.
Her's was one of the class favorites for it's creative design
 and the amount of effort she put in it to pull it off.
All her little chest pieces were made with Polymer,
her board wood burned, 
and board edge paper collaged.



And finally we get to junior Helen Park's piece.
She was the gal in Part I who was carrying in the chair and sawing.
Was she able to incorporate any part of that chair?
I don't think she did,
but I'm sure one of these years someone with do something special with it  :)
So thanks Helen for your donation!
Helen's design is very clever in that it is two sided.
Warm & Cool.
And her wood burned saying leads us to think about what she is trying to convey.
Perhaps I will remember to ask her one day and slide it in here.



We finish with junior Cheryl-Mae Mallabo.
Super complex and thought provoking,
it takes some time to see all that she has put together.
Cheryl,
like Hapshiba,
used rebar to build out the front shoulder of her form (above),
then she came into it and wove yarn thru.
I just love when these kids use their critical thinking skills and apply earlier learning.
Cheryl spends hours looking thru all my bead and hardware containers,
selecting just the right pieces to incorporate into her creations.
And as you can see the amount of effort as well as attention to detail in her work
 is truly remarkable.

Thank you all for working so very hard for me.
It's always a pleasure to show off what you do here.

1 comment:

  1. Deliana Park ... how incredible that the tiny dancer and the slave-to-work came out of the same assignment. You tapped into the depths!

    ReplyDelete