Tuesday, June 30, 2015

WHAT'S IN YOUR JOURNAL?

APPLIQUILT JOURNALS
BEGINNING 3-D ART
tye-dyed fabric, perle cottons, misc. papers & embellishments

These journals had their start at the beginning of the school year 
when the kid did their tye-dye unit.
After they did several samples on white paper towel to practice different techniques and colorways,
I gave them each two pieces of washed 100% white cotton fabric squares.
(I scavenge old sheets at garage and estate sales)
and away they go!
Then we do a stitching and embroidery unit in which they learn to sew.
And finally we put these puppies together into a journal form.

One of my new favorites this year
(I might have mentioned this before)
is junior Josh Bok
He surprised and pleased me with his text
on this clever journal.
And notice the cardboard thread keepers he even stitched on
Makes my heart so happy!!!!!!!

Senior Sunny Kim completely filled her journal with delightful whimsy 
on both the front and back covers.
Sunny was one of my top art students both this as well as last year.
I will miss her greatly.

And up and comer sophomore Shreya Sheth pushes boundaries 
once again with her thought filled message.
She has also chosen to embellish with a variety of fabrics and goodies
 that she finds around the room.


And we finish with junior William Kim,
a true patriot.
William was another student whose work stood out this year, 
and I'm a lucky woman to be able to say that he will be back next year.

And thank you William for your heartfelt letter you wrote me at school's end.
It's a keeper that will be the first one I put into that gorgeous natural journal you gave me.
I've decided that your gift will house all the beautifully written notes and letters 
I have kept over the years.
One of my first projects for when I retire.  :)
Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. The only thing that could make these better would be the ability to reach through cyber-space to touch them. As it is, the incredible variety of stitch and color, and especially the use of text, are utterly delightful.

    And I will confess, I would also turn them over to look at the b-sides ... there I often find the truest tale of a cloth's journey. The journal form presents an opportunity to deliberately show the back, btw. Something to consider ...

    ReplyDelete