Wednesday, April 12, 2017

STITCHIN" & BITCHIN'

Not these two.
looks like seniors Jacqueline Yu and Shreya Sheth  
 are in perfect sync with their sewing machines and their Paper Quilts.
Too cute!

STITCH PAPER QUILTS
ADVANCED 3-D ART
muslin, white tissue paper, Elmer's glue, stamps & ink, acrylics & sewing machines

I first saw the idea of combining paper & cloth in the Quilting Arts Magazine years ago.
They had featured Mixed Media Artist Kelly Nina Perkins 
and her Stitch Paper Quilts and I was a goner,
completely smitten.
So much so that I contacted her
 and bought two of her pieces to show & inspire my students.
Then a year or two later she wrote a book to explain in greater detail her ideas and processes,
so it gives the students even more visuals to try out.
Over the last couple years this assignment has evolved with each current crop of kids
 giving it their special twist.
If you were to put Stitch Paper Quilts in my search engine
 you'd be able to see what I'm talking about.
So let's see what these two goofy girls came up with.

Ahh...
 here they are hard at work.
They put in a lot energy and creativity,
so let's see what they came up with.


We start with Jacqueline's super cool and surrealistic piece first.
It's really amazing to me where these students come up with such sophisticated design ideas.
I could have never in my wildest dreams have come up with something like this at age 17-18.
They are so many layers of goodness here.

Below and above are some close-ups for you.


Shreya's piece was a tribute to our fighting servicemen,
                                                    and the loved ones they leave behind.                                                                                                                                                        
Some close-ups.
If you look closely you will see pieces of a hand written love note that Shreya incorporated,
along with the skyline that so is a part of her daily commute.

1 comment:

  1. How art triggers connections to experience ...

    Jacqueline's piece triggered complex memories of a movie from my college years that I wish I had never seen (and which shall remain unnamed lest anyone be tempted ... for once seen it cannot be unseen).

    Shreya's piece brought me music: Traveling Soldier, written by Austin singer-songwriter Bruce Robison and covered by the Dixie Chicks in 2002.

    ReplyDelete