Thursday, January 12, 2023

RECYCLING AT XMAS

For me,
Christmas Day afternoon is spent recycling tissue paper, boxes, bags, ribbons, 
even tags to be used for the next year,
organizing them and storing them away
while dinner is cooking.
And I'm thrilled to share
 that my daughter has started this recycling habit as well 
several years back now.
I guess because she used to help me wrap and clean up when she was little.

But at the same time we like to change up our wrapping styles for the next year,
so we plan and purchase only a few new items.
And each Xmas we love to surprise each other with our new looks.
My daughter went with a deer theme this year 
with softer colors that were so lovely.
All those different blush tones are so pretty,
and her tree was gorgeous!

This year I reused mailing boxes to put gifts in.
So not one single holiday bag was used.
Only one new item was purchased during the end of year sales,
a roll of festive tape that I wrapped around the boxes like a ribbon.
Last years black bows I had made were reused.
I learned how to make big beautiful bows when I worked at a flower shop 
when I was 17 years old and minimum wage was $1.63 an hour.
Ha!
Ann's Flowers in Buena Park Ca., no longer there.
In fact,
 all the skills I learned from the owners have paid off big time in my adult life.
Caring for fresh flowers, making corsages, bouquets, and arrangements,
and identifying all the various flowers and shrubs 
used to make those arrangements beautiful.
It's funny, 
I was recently asked to help out at a new floral shop in our neighborhood
because the owner found out from her boyfriend, 
a trainer at our gym, 
that I had floral skills
Now how did he know that?
My ex, who works out daily at our gym told him.
Hummm...
flattering,
but do I want to work that hard again on my feet all day long
in a refrigerated environment during all the Holidays.
Nope. 

And the tags are all at least 10 to 20 years old,
some possibly older.
Some were handmade when my kids were much younger, 
but mostly they came from Xmas cards that I cut up from the previous years.
That was a wonderful tradition I learned from my mother. 

5 comments:

  1. I got through this Christmas without buying a single new ribbon or any wrapping paper. I don't expect to be so lucky next year, but new things add interest to the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that might be my goal for next year Dana, got to try it since I think I missed all the after sales already. Hope you are feeling better!

      Delete
  2. I blush as I think of all the paper that we buy, wrap, unwrap and then throw away each year ... kudos to you and your daughter!

    we do tend to keep our tags, though ... not to reuse, but to recall the gifts they heralded ... the goofier the label, the better ... often a pun or a hint meant to playfully mislead, such as books labeled "socks" because, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your tag idea Liz, do you hang them on the tree to re read them each year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when possible they get tucked into the gift itself ... inside the covers of a book, in the sock drawer or a game box ... love the idea of hanging them on the tree!

      Delete