Tuesday, August 21, 2018

WRAP IT UP!

PORCELAIN SLAB WRAPS
CERAMICS II
clay, glazes, oxides

I apologize for going a bit out of sequence with assignments.
This summer I'm kind of all over the place with this blog.

This was the very first assignment for my Intermediate clay kids last year.
It was their first time to work in Porcelain,
and their second time to build with slab wrap construction.
But they didn't thump and drag this time, 
they used a roller to thin out their slabs.
We wanted them almost paper thin because these are tiny and delicate in person.
I also had them use decorative paper scissors to cut the clay with 
along all the seams.
Let's take a look.

Once again,
I cannot find the paperwork that tells me who made which piece.
I apologize and hopefully one of my students will chime in and set me straight.
And they did!
Thank you Chloe & Julia  xoxoxox
We have junior Julia Ruiz and senior Sarah Oh.

My guesses on these 3 were right on.
The back pieces are senior Ylia Madayag and junior Chloe Chang.
With junior Eugene Ho who created the tiny cutie in the front.
In fact, 
I loved Eugene's piece so much that I purchased it at Open House.

Here it is on the left on top of my bedroom dresser at the cabin.
I use it to hold my jewelry.
Told you I loved it Eugene!!
Complimentary colors with a very fluid form and great surface design.
It's got it all!

3 comments:

  1. How fortunate your students are that you afford them the opportunity to work with porcelain in addition to standard-issue clay. And thank you for showing Eugene's piece in a context that gives a sense of scale. A treasure box ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right?? I love Eugene's little piece, it is such a treasure. The porcelain is super expensive and difficult to work with and I don't make the kids pay for it. I provide it for them because I feel it's a very important tactile experience that ne needs when learning about clay. The scraps get mixed into the clay bucket (a place we recycle the broken greenware or the plastic mistakes). It gets water added to it everyday to keep it moist so that the kids can dig out their own clay, and wedge it up to re-use it. This way they don't have to pay for clay. Other kids buy their own bag of stoneware body for about $10. One bag of porcelain costs $20.
    Anyways, wait till you see the assignment coming up that is new this year that I let my beginners use porcelain with. It's going to blow your mind it's that lovely! So now my beginners do one assignment in Porcelain and my Intermediates do several. And if the kids what to dig their own clay there will probably be a bit of porcelain in it as well. IT'S ALL SO MUCH FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a generous teacher ... in word and deed

      Delete