Friday, August 10, 2018

PINCH AN INCH

PINCH POTS
CERAMICS I
clay, glazes & oxides

Not sure if I've mentioned yet that I adored this year's Ceramic classes.
Because of other scheduling conflicts I was given two periods of clay 
which was heaven for me.
And in both those periods (4 & 5) we had a blast!
So this year when I share the clay pieces it will be a combination from both periods.
Did I also mention I had some very talented clay beginners this year?? 
Several that I haven't worked with since they were in my 7th grade Art Wheel classes.
It was such a joy to have them back in the fold,
and to see how grown up they were.
Most of them anyways.
  ha ha

We start with senior Michelle Hwang with this highly sophisticated pinch vase form.
Keep in mind this is only the 2nd or 3rd project at the beginning of the year.
And a vase form is one of the most difficult to build.
Most of the students were only able to pull off bowls or mugs.
So bravo Michelle!!

We have several very talented up and comers in clay, crafts & art this year.
Junior Dustine Ansiboy was one of them. 
You will see so many of her pieces from this last year in both clay and crafts.
And I'm thrilled to say she will be coming back to me for 2 more classes this year!
Besides achieving a perfectly round pinch bowl,
she beautifully embellished it with coils and clay roses.
Such delicate and patient work.

Another superstar you will see a lot is junior Lina Kim.
She was one of my best students in the 7th grade art class,
 and I still teach with several of her pieces she gifted me back then.
Lina's a funny young woman.
She rarely likes anything she makes 
but the rest of us love her work.
She crafted this clever octopus mug above.

Next up is senior Renee Kim with this adorable mug.
There were 2 things I especially enjoyed about this piece.
With the way she finished off the lip and not smoothing out her cracks,
 it almost looks like a sweet abstract creature busting out and coming alive.


Junior Sara Ryave was another junior that stood out to me this past year in both 7th and 8th grade
in the Art Wheel and Beginning 2-D art classes.
When she works she goes deeply into Right Brain,
using her problem solving artist skills and turns all her clay pies into sculptures of some sort.
We all got a good chuckle when we saw she attached eyes and feet to this mug.

And we end with senior Ashley Scott,
whose wonderful mother was also a superstar of mine back in the day.
Damn I love that!
Well,
 design and great craftsmanship run in the family
 because everything Ashley created I wanted to buy from her to enjoy and teach with.
Most of her work was not for sale at Open House because her mother wanted to keep it,
understandably,
but I got incredibly lucky.
At the end of the year she gifted me with her amazing bell sculpture that we will see later this year.
Thank you Ashley!!
It hangs in my garden and sounds lovely.
xoxoxoxo
I wanted to show both shots of her pinch pot because I loved the organic feel of it along with all the rocky embellishments and the way she glazed to to show all of that off.
Another outstanding work!

2 comments:

  1. I can well imagine the hand-feel of Michelle's careful work ... beautifully wrought symmetry that calls to mind an ancient amphora

    For whatever reason, the fine little button on Dustine's piece keeps drawing my eye

    Likewise, the circular form on Lina's piece makes me imagine a sun or moon story quite aside from the cunningly wrought tentacles

    The rifts in Renee's piece call out to be considered as potential for broken hearts

    And Sara's footed pot makes for a great play on words ...

    Once again, last is not least, as Ashley's superb pot celebrates the pinching that formed it, and enhances it with well-crafted embellishments and glazing





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope the kids are keeping up with your comments this summer Liz. Thank you for taking the time to post them. We love you!!

      Delete