Sunday, August 12, 2018

WORKING LARGER

FLORAL WATERCOLOR
ADVANCED 2-D ART
watercolors, watercolor paper, watercolor brushes, pen & ink, collage accents, silk flowers

I had one 3rd year art student this year,
senior Samantha Tun.
She was in my 2nd period class along with 28 Beginning and Intermediate 2-D students,
which means I juggled 3 different classes at one time.
A great way to burn calories!
Anyways,
Sam created many outstanding pieces and she especially enjoyed working in watercolor.

I feel it's important for the kids to get a chance to see what it's like to work on a large scale.
So I asked her to design a composition by enlarging a flower
 so that it's parts went off the edge of the paper,
then to paint it with watercolor
and add a bit of paper collage and pen & ink.
Let's see what she came up with .
Lovely isn't it?
Here's a bit better shot below.

And some close-ups so you can see her collage and implied pen & ink lines.
I was so proud of her.
Sam tackles every project with so much confidence.
The large scale (18 by 24) did not intimidate her.
At her age I would have been scared to death because watercolor can be so unforgiving.
Bravo Samantha!!

1 comment:

  1. Having just returned from Georgia O'Keeffe's desert New Mexico, I can well appreciate the impact of a small flower painted large. Likewise, the understanding that, as much as I love to see images in books and online, there is nothing like seeing a piece in person. This one looks to be worth studying up close, as hinted at by the whispers of collage work revealed in the close-up. Brava Sam!

    ReplyDelete