Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Chemers Gallery Artisan Faire

If you are an artist living in the southern California area, 
make sure to check out Chemers Gallery in Tustin on 17th St.
They are known for their beautiful children's illustrations,
along with the books the illustrations came out of. 
Usually once a year they have an artist's signing, 
but this year they decided to showcase all their new artists in jewelry, clay, fibers and paint. 
And a special treat were the food artists booth this year,
giving out free yummy samples.

Good friend and mentor,
Lori Lawson of Capistrano Fiber Arts was there with her hand dyed, 
hand spun,
hand knit and felted works.
It's always such a pleasure to see what she's been creating.

But the artist I was really interested in meeting was fine artist illustrator, jeweler and clay artist Lisa Mertins.
Jimmy Finds His Voice and Gingko and Moon are two of the children's books she has illustrated, 
but it's her work in clay (porcelain) that stops me in my tracks .
Delicate as a feather with soft surface designs and barely any there glazing,
her clay pieces are exquisite. 
I own several of her works that I teach with so my students can see amazing quality 
and whimsical spontaneous designs. 
It was a pleasure to meet you Lisa.
I hope our paths cross again.
There was another clay artist whose work was fascinating as well, 
Maria Counts.
I especially liked her totem poles.
I'm hoping one of these years before I retire
that I will get lucky enough to have a student sign up for a third year in clay.
Totem's would be a perfect challenge for that level.

No comments:

Post a Comment