Tuesday, April 16, 2019

UNMASKED

CLAY MASKS
BEGINNING 3-D ART
clay & oxides

My Beginning 3-D kids love this assignment.
For many of them it's their first time to work in clay,
and they are surprised by how much fun it can be.
They take great pride in their creations.
Let's take a look.

Ok, 
got to be honest. 
I'm guessing at a couple of these names.
This first one I think was the creation of senior Sophie Yang.
On these pieces I stress and require lots of surface design.
They have many choices:
inlay, stamping, applique, carving, incising & piercing.
Sophie has used 5 of those which really makes this piece sensory,
so very pleasing to the eye.

This next one is the work of junior Sahana Ramesh,
and she has used all 6 design techniques.
We all enjoyed her elongated face and the way she moved the leaves thru the face.
These pieces are all concave,
and were draped over top a wadded up newspaper taped mold to hold their bas relief form.

8th grader ,
Bhumika Kalaimalai,
 made 2 pieces because her first one on the right broke in half..
I told her no worries;
use the first for extra credit and make a second for grading.
I felt she gave us the most beautiful and balanced surface design in both.

I'm guessing again on this super sweet one here,
could be junior Kiana Hernandez or 8th graders Shivani Kedila or Viviana Cruz.
I will hunt them down on campus and see if they can help me identify them.
Definitely check out the really clean craftsmanship of the construction 
and the staining of the oxides.
Perfection!

I know for sure this is the work of junior Dustine Ansiboy because it was memorable 
to me due to the fact my step-daughter Julie loves owls,
and I knew she would really enjoy this piece.
It also is beautifully crafted and finished.

And I''m pretty sure this belongs to junior Rachel Tibayan.
Rachel is a terrific designer and always comes up with super original ideas.
I also love how expressive it is
(a requirement).

And we end with 11th grader Sandra Chea (a guess here)
& 8th grader Yusuf Karan (who I remember did the one on the right).
I really like putting 2 pieces together so you can see how each student solved the same subject.

I think I've mentioned this before but I really dislike art teachers
who have all the kiddos make the same exact pieces.
I've been in classes like that and there is no critical thinking/problem solving going on.
I never learn in classes like those.
In fact,
I paid ahead of time and then walked out of that kind of  watercolor class
a few years back where the teacher explained nothing,
demoed nothing,
and gave us all the same xerox picture to copy in the exact same colors.
An almost paint by the number technique.
No thank you.
Good-bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment