Monday, April 1, 2019

Jane Nishii

A PROFESSIONAL SCULPTOR IN OUR MIDST
this post is dedicated to Jane, her sister Nancy and family, 
and her son and granddaughter here at Whitney

Recently our school had a commemoration in honor of Jane Nishii and her sister Nancy,
 survivors of the Japanese Incarceration Centers during World War II.
Our 7th graders in their History classes study the Japanese culture & history,
 and as a special treat by their teachers 
arranged to have Jane's surviving sister Nancy talk about the familys time in the camps.
Jane's son Ernie is a prestigious member of our ABC Unified School Board,
and Jane's granddaughter Yuri,
 is currently a 10th grader here at Whitney.

Family

I was able to meet Jane two years ago at our Annual Open House.
Ernie brought her in when they passed my door and she saw it was the "Ceramics "room.
I didn't know his mother was such an accomplished Sculptor at the time
since I have never worked with her granddaughter.
It was such a pleasure to meet Jane and chat with her a bit about our clay department.
Then last school year Ernie came by to present me with his mother's beloved Ceramic tool kit,
many of the tools being handmade.
He sadly told me his mother had passed and he wanted to know if I'd like them.
I was so very honored to give them a home and take care of them.
They have become very special to me.

Innocence

Ernie brought these 4 monumental pieces of his mothers to share with the 7th graders.
I knew she was a professional artist,
but I had never seen her work.
I was completed transfixed as I viewed these pieces.
They were a powerful statement to her time as a child in the center,
 the pain and suffering they went thru,
and of the family they lost there.
Son Eernie shared with me that his mother's favorite ceramic sculptor was Peter Voulkos,
and that Jane actually was able to study with Graham & Pat Crabb.
Impressive!

Endure

When I was in my 30's I had read the book Farewell to Manzanar about the internment 
in the high desert of California,
and of the 127,000 Japanese-Americans that were imprisoned there;
and then to actually see these works made it even more real for me.
I think this summer I will now read more about that awful time in America's history.
I feel a very strong connection to Jane and her family now that I have her clay tools.

Bridge
Sister Nancy is the baby in this piece.

Jane Nishii
June 16, 1937-June 17, 2017

5 comments:

  1. Hi
    It’s me, Auntie Nancy. I’m very glad that Ernie presented you with the tools. It means a lot to us to keep her principles of lLove, Joy, and Peace alive. Best to you and your students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to hear from you Nancy. Wish I had taken the opportunity to meet you at our school when you were there for the 7th graders. Thank you so much for coming to share your story with them. What an important life experience & lesson you had to share with them. If you are ever visiting Whitney with Ernie or Yuri, please stop by my classroom. And thank you so much so allowing me to be the keeper of your dear sister's tools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such powerful work, how special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! I'm thrilled I was able to experience it in person.

      Delete