Thursday, December 10, 2009

Rebecca Chen - Alum - Class of 2003


Rebecca was by far one of my most unforgettable students and produced so many thought provoking pieces for me in the 6 years that I worked with her here at Whitney. She was instrumental in refurbishing the custodian's work room into our current Art Lounge (see side label Art Lounge) where she not only laid the flooring, but did numerous collages on the cabinets and doors. Plus many of her works are on display in the lounge including this extraordinary piece. She took at least 5 of my various art courses that I offer here and was given a very generous art scholarship to the San Francisco Art Institute. The last time I heard from her she was traversing across country between 2 different restaurants working as a sous chef in both. I put this piece up because my current beginning 3-d students will be building a paper mache structure to house a quilt in that they are currently working on. And I really like the one that Rebecca built here for her amazing embroidered piece. Sorry the close up is a bit blurry!

No comments:

Post a Comment