Thursday, September 5, 2019

A GREAT NEW SLAB PROJECT

BERRY BOWL
CERAMICS I
clay & bisqued stamps

If I was still teaching my Beginning Ceramic kiddos,
I would have liked to have tried out this adorable Berry Bowl on them.
I photoed this out of a magazine,
so the pictures have a bit of glare on them from the shiny pages.

You begin with this cardboard template.
Roll out a slab of clay about 3/8 of an inch thick,
then using you favorite stamping tools,
stamp entire slab,
then lay template on top and cut around it.

Let the clay dry out a tad,
then pull up the walls and score and slip them together.
Loving how the base is wider then the top lip.
After the walls are attached use a smaller stamping tool and roll up side seams,
for a secondary design element.

Use the palm of your hand to tap up the base so it's slightly concave or is that convex?
I always get those two confused.
Ha!

Honestly, 
I forgot how the magazine article said to shape the lip round
(I took these pix about 5 years ago and am just now posting)
but I think I would thump and drag an elongated piece of clay,
place it over a rolling pin so gravity takes and rounds it,
then blow dry to stiffen to hold that shape.
Next I would measure the size of the 3 lengths I need, 
cut each one, 
and  score them onto the lip.
ORRRRRR,
after thumping, dragging and blow drying,
I'd try curving it into a into that 3/4 round then score and slip on.
For the cool handle,
I'd thump and drag a squarish shape slab,
pierce a hole for hand,
then do a bit of cool slab filigree work on inside of hole.
Of course scoring that on as well.

Even though I'm not teaching, 
I do have all my clay supplies at my home/studio, 
so I think I will give it a try one of these years.
  So stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment