Tuesday, July 9, 2019

A FAREWELL TO ARMS

photo from 1993 in Newspaper article titled Teaching Art with Her Heart

Dearest Whitney Family,
Friends and Blog Followers,

I think many of you knew this was coming,
some of you even guessed it was soon,
but I turned in my retirement papers this last week Tuesday.

To the students who have signed up to take my classes,
the District has flown the vacancy and I'm sure many qualified teachers will be banging down the doors to teach Art here at Whitney.
I know many of my ex-art students have been asking me for years when I'll retire
because they want to take over for me.
Whoever is chosen,
know I will make myself available to help them get started if they want me to.
So no worries right!
(in fact I just lined up one of my former art students who teaches art already in Arcadia,
he will be in for an interview,
 and I put word out to others who I know are interested as well)
You will be getting someone who is so much more current and fresh,
and who probably knows Digital Art as well.
So please don't bail out of those art classes you signed up for,
or else the numbers might go too low to continue the Visual Arts at Whitney.
Do you hear me!
Stay put!!!!!!!
And Eliana Lee,
yes,
 I will write your Letter of Rec. this year when you need it.
Just let me know.
You know I love you dearly
and it would be an honor to do this for such a creative young artist.

Here is the letter I composed to my staff at Whitney which I think explains it all:

Dearest Staff,

It is with great difficulty and profound sadness that I have finally decided to retire after 39 years of teaching all the Visual Arts in room 18.  This past Monday, my Doctor had a Come to Jesus with me about how unhealthy I am after several blood tests and x-rays were taken mid June.  Of course I knew this was coming because she had warned me after last summer's physical that I better get my act together and get healthy.  I only made it half way though when it was time to start this last school year.  I was tired much of this year, dragging and even falling asleep a couple times when driving home. Scary stuff.  And most days after work instead of making myself go to the gym, I'd take a nap instead.  So I knew it was time.  Every year when someone would retire, I'd always ask them how did they know it was time.  The answer was always the same.  They just knew.  I guess I knew it too but had a really hard time facing and accepting it.  For me, this is so very bittersweet because I feel incredibly blessed to have had such a long and exciting career doing something I love so much.  And I'm extremely thankful it was at Whitney where the students pushed me hard to be my very best. I have learned so much about life and about myself amidst these cardboard walls.  But it's so hard to leave.  A huge piece of my heart will always be here.  My classroom has been my second home for a long, long time.  

It has been such a pleasure to have worked with so many of my ex-students, to watch all of you grow up, get married, start your families and become Whitney teachers.  To see you happy and fulfilled has been such a joy.  And how lucky I have been to have worked with so many exceptionally gifted teachers over the years, many of you the best in your fields.  Whitney High is a magical place, it always has been for me and I know it will continue to be so.  I want to thank all of you for your continued love and support over the years; supporting our art students and buying and hanging their pieces in your rooms and offices.  For trusting me to teach you to draw, craft and build with clay Donna Hall,  & Deliana Park. The thought of leaving all of you as well as our students fills me with extreme sadness but it's time.

I'm hoping that the next art teacher will be a former Whitney Grad, who understands the rigor of this exceptional school as well as it's culture, and will make the art room and program a haven to relax, decompress in and critically create.  To learn how to access the Right Hemisphere of the Brain, to learn to see all the beauty around them in nature, in the cracks in the sidewalk, and the patterns on manhole covers.  To learn to produce this beauty with their hands, hearts and minds.  There is beauty all around us but sadly so many of our youngsters haven't had a chance to learn to see it or record it.  They need the arts in their lives.  It's so very necessary to be a well-rounded human being.

I want to give a special shout out to Suzanne, Donna, Jodi, Virginia, Rod, Mike, Deliana, Paul, Derek, Stephanie, Eileen, Yen & Brennan, for being my rocks when I felt I needed an ear, and to Javier for being the best man for the job of cleaning up an art room, my hat goes off to you, you are such a wonderful person, and Juan for making me laugh every afternoon when you stick your head in my door to say hello.  And to Dave, my dear friend for many years, all that you have helped me with and done for me, thank you.  And I can't forget my best friend of all and drinking buddy, Dennis Brent, former Whitney English teacher extraordinaire.  And Cindy, I wish I would have been able to stay a bit longer to have gotten to know you even better.  You have such a special vibe about you and are so much fun.  And to former Whitney student Bill Sevedge, Class of 1984, for coming back to visit years later and teaching me to use a computer and building my blog for me. 
Lastly, but most importantly, to former 8th grade science teacher Virginia Pooler, who passed way too soon, thank you for talking me into getting my Master's Degree with you at USIU in 1985.  That's where I met my 1st husband and because of you came my beautiful babies Zach & Danielle.   You were such a strong presence on our campus teaching our students so many important life lessons, not just science. and not afraid to tell them the truth.  All of our hearts were broken when you left us.  You were one of my early mentors and I still think about you everyday,

So many of you who have touched my heart over the years, please forgive me if I have left anyone out.

Well, I wish all of you a relaxing summer.  Gotta tell you the one thing I won't miss is doing another accreditation.  Good luck with that my friends.  You know where I'll be, spending lots of quality time with my husband, my own children and their young ones and animals, traveling to art shows and workshops (and hopefully teaching some of those), at the cabin, in my gardens, at the gym, reading voraciously, creating art and on my blog.  OH, and still continuing to take as many new art classes as possible since I am a life long learner.  I hope you will stop by for a visit.  

 Hail to Whitney High!

With much love to all,
Debra A. Price Agrums Sposa
Former Art Teacher 1980-2019
Whitney High School

20 comments:

  1. The school will definitely not be the same without your fun and passionate energy. We will all miss you so much! Both the alumni and current students. I really hope that whoever takes up the role next will continue to pound in the importance of art to all of those STEM kids HAHA. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they do too Sarah. Thank you for your heartfelt message. You were one of my all time favorites to teach, and I will never forget your talent, creativity and your passion for animals, as well as your kindness and respect even when you knew more about a subject then I did, ha ha! I love you so very much!

      Delete
  2. It must have been incredibly hard to do this, but you never take the easy way. Congratulations on your launch into a new way of going ... and I am grateful that the blog will remain as a bridge between the old and the new ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always you are with me Liz, you continued support and advice this year has made this decision a bit easier to swallow. Thank you! xoxoxo

      Delete
  3. to read this...i am full to the Brim with SAD and GLAD...the legacy you
    leave.....
    but the future...am excited to anticipate what i might find here
    on your Blog...who you now can become...
    and it is touching to me that Sarah Oh is here, as she is here
    with me in this forest...the treasured pinch pot, because of you.
    Thank you for your world of teaching, sharing your students and
    their work, reassuring me that Art LIVES in the young ones...they
    are our hope and you gave me faith in that
    Such Big Love to you, Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words are so powerful Grace, they give me hope and courage for right now I feel so lost. But my husband tells me that when one door closes another opens. I look forward to seeing what's thru that new door. I just need to be patient LOL Thank you for you love and support. xoxoxo And I love too that Sarah is with both of us. She is a very special gift that came thru one of those doors 3 years ago to me. She is one of the kindest people I have ever known and her capacity to love is huge! I so wish you could meet her one day, she lights up a room with her goodness.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I was certainly not expecting your retirement! I know you will enjoy it and make the most of it, but it will be an adjustment. Leaving behind a school that you loved, and that loved you in return, can't be easy, Debra. I think of all of the students you have taught and followed throughout their careers, and I can't even imagine the influence that you have had on all of those young people. Teaching is a far-reaching profession, and you have given hope and encouragement and creativity in so many ways. They are all so lucky to have had the benefit of your talent and love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jen, this thing I decided to do is so big and so hard for me. I just guess I thought I'd always be in my room teaching until I passed. I never looked at it any other way. So much so that I never in my whole career remembered to pick up my paychecks from the office. My secretaries over the years had to hand deliver them to me. I didn't even care if I got paid, I just loved what I was doing so much. And I've always felt like my classroom was an extension of my home. It was such a comfortable fit. Thank you for your heartfelt and kind words Jen, I fear September when school starts because I don't for the first time know what my future looks like. Sending you lots of love xoxoxox

      Delete
  5. On behalf of 2024 last quarter's class: Sean says you were the best teacher he's ever had, and he chose art as his elective just so you could be his teacher. Jackson says goodbye and he hopes your health gets better. As for me, I hope you remember us. Not everyone in our class was an artist, but your presence in the classroom will be our favorite artistic memory! Goodbye, Mrs. Sposa <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you 7th graders, what a wonderful sendoff you sent me. It means so much! I just had so much fun with all of you, teasing you, getting to know and teach you all. I've already started back at the gym and have lost my first 5 pds, now only 20 more to go ha ha. I'm eating better and even signed up for a Pilates class. So I'm really trying to get my health back on track. I'm so very touched that you posted this message to me, and have already told many of your teachers that you will have next year what a fantastic group of kids you are. And I'm so glad that one of your first memories of Whitney will be of taking an art class with me. I'm not sure which one of you wrote me this sweet note but I'm sending out a special shout out to Sean, Jackson, Aiden, Saamarth and Dash! I will miss you so much, so please stay in touch. You know you can always find me here or by e-mail if you ever need me. I love you all, Ms. Sposa xoxoxooxoxo

      Delete
    2. awe thank you so much for replying! and I'm Sofia (bob) by the way :)

      Delete
    3. Bob! It's you!!! Oh my gosh, thank you for very much for your post. I'm thrilled you are following the blog. You my dear, were one of this years 7th grades biggest art stars of all! I sure hope you continue creating. Much love to you sweet girl! And I hope you are enjoying your time off. Miss you!

      Delete
  6. Oh, my! You did it! Congratulations! So glad you're going to take care of you. I wish you all the peace of mind & body, and joy that you deserve, oxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, your comment got thru Hazel. Thank you so much. I have so many unfinished art pieces to tackle and so many more I want to start. But first I must put everything in it's place that I brought home from my classroom. What a mess I have. My husband had to build me a variety of shelves and this huge cabinet. It will be fun organizing it and looking at all the possibilities. Keep in touch! xoxoxo

      Delete
  7. I learned so much from taking art with you, it's something I'm very glad I did in Whitney. Not only for the peices I didn't know I could make, but also because you are an amazing teacher! I know the students will miss you very much (I was egging my brother to hurry and sign up for art, haha). I wish you the best in health and hope you enjoy your retirement :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to hear from you Jessica! Thank you so much for this heartfelt note on my retirement. I'm slowly finding my way in this new phase of my life. I'm working out with a trainer and she is kicking my butt big time ha ha and I'm going to sign up for piano classes. Plus I'm working on a lovely baby blanket and reading a lot of good books. But it still isn't as wonderful as teaching art at Whitney. I was very blessed to have a job I loved for so many years. Hope all is well with you! xoxoxoxxo

      Delete
    2. Oh wow! It's good to hear that you're having fun and working hard.
      Good luck with the training, and the piano classes! (If you ever are in need of practice tips/how to play something I'd be happy to help, I still play!)

      Delete
    3. I used to play the organ when I was a young girl, my mother made me, but haven't touched a keyboard since. Now I'm interested in piano since my husband has one in his cave. I picked up some sheet music so I will let you know if I need some help. Thanks Jessica for your sweet offer. xoxox

      Delete
  8. have a lot of catching up to do......and having scrolled from latest post backwards in time, I know you are very busy in your retirement, well I guess you can't change who you are;-)
    you must have been a great teacher judging by the comments, one we all wished we had had! looking forward to reading all about this new chapter in your life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with myself once Sept. rolled around and school started again. I've been working since I was 16 years old. But I am managing to keep busy. At first it was really hard for me not to see the kids again. I miss working with them the most. I just love those high preschoolers, they are so brutally honest with you. And I so miss sharing and teaching the arts to new students and opening their eyes to all the possibilities. But I do love that my daughter needs me again with her new home. I'm teaching to her cook and garden and so much more, and helping her her with her dogs, my grand dogs ha! And I've started so many new projects that I work on at night which is super satisfying. And of course I'm exercising and trying to loose my some weight and get healthy again. I love that you've stopped by my blog and am catching up. I'm headed over to yours now. Happy Holidays Saskia!

      Delete