Tuesday, July 30, 2019

DISPLAYING ARTWORK

This tiny & stunning piece of hand stitching (4" by 4")
was done by one of my favorite Fiber Artists,
Hazel Montes of Handstories.
I purchased it from her shop about a year ago
 and finally figured out how I wanted to frame it out.
I have used this technique now a couple of times with Hazel's tiny Sailing Ships,
and love that you can hang them in a window to enjoy.
I also love the fact that I'm re-purposing 
these vintage crochet doilies.
Now I'm going to send this off to one of my all time favorite students 
whose coming to visit in August from her second semester abroad studying Architecture,
Karisma Dev. 
While with me for each of her 6 years at Whitney,
she studied all the Fiber and Sculptural Arts,
Beginning thru Special Studies 3-D Art,
as well as Beginning 2-D art. 
I know she will love and appreciate Hazel's handwork & design as much as I do.
If you have the time or interest,
insert Karisma's name into my search engine
 and you can see many of the pieces she created for me over the years.
She is also top in her class at Syracuse University
and I couldn't be more proud of her!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Deb, a star in a star! How swell that it's going to be with a kindred spirit. Your posts of Karisma's work over the years show how creative and hard working she is. I'd love to see some of her architectural designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so what she has been to me since I met her in my 7th grade art class 10 years ago, a kindred spirit. Can't wait to see her and hear all about her travels, adventures and new designs. Perhaps she will allow me to showcase some of her recent works. BTW, I love that your comments are finding a way thru. xo

      Delete
  2. I love this--especially the blue patch in the star and the texture and the wonky shape that seems so happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's such a happy piece! And Hazel's stitches are so small and delicate. I'm crazy about her work and the spontaneity with which she is able to work. I so wish I could be more like her in my work. I agonize over every more I make ha ha

      Delete
  3. Each time I look at this post I start humming CSNY ...

    "we are stardust ... we are golden ... "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was that Crosby Stills Nash and Young from Woodstock?

      Delete