Sunday, June 30, 2019

SHIBORI GIRL - GLENNIS DOLCE

A friend that I made thru blogging,
a local So.Cal. expert in the art of Shibori,
takes an eager group of students to Japan every year and always returns with treasures.
This year in her shop,
 I was able to purchase many of the pieces listed below in her letter. 
She bundled the letter around the precious remnants,
and they did not disappoint.
Below are shoots and close-ups of all that I bought.
I've been thinking about what to use them for.
 So far I have a favorite pair of jeans that the holes have become too large in,
 I think I might cut off a piece of each fabric to mend them with.
After that I'm not sure.


the family crest button a top an indigo dyed loosely woven fabric


a vintage piece of boro cloth

two different pieces of Ikat dyed and woven fabric
close up below

two more pieces of Ikat
Just a note.
I did learn the art of Ikat dyeing and weaving in college (1979),
and I remember how extremely time consuming and difficult it was 
so it is fabulous to see the real thing in person.

honestly, I'm not sure what this cloth is called.
got to do some research.
but isn't it lovely?
you can see how old it is where the two worn areas are.

This last one is my favorite because it's my go-to technique to do with my students
in the Beginning 3-D class.
The favorite of all the Shibori techniques that Glennis taught us.
This cloth was all all hand stitched, pulled tightly then dipped into the Indigo vat.
When dry the stitching was removed to reveal the design.
This piece was so expertly done,
so clear in it's design, and the dye so perfectly applied,
rich and dark.
When I saw it in the packet my eyes just popped with happiness!

And I already know the first thing I will do with snall pieces of each remnant,
I'm going to mend/patch a loved pair of holey jeans.
Anding it to my list right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment