Monday, January 7, 2019

STILL HERE

It's been awhile since I've made time for my blog.
Almost a month I believe.
Life just got busy with senior letters of recommendations,
progress reports,
decorating, shopping & wrapping Xmas presents,
sickness and still going to work (and probably containinating my students),
Xmas parties & hosting,
engagement party for my son,
and our newborn grandson Anthony in the hospital for 5 days.
But we all are better and rested and I'm back to work.
Thank you all for your concern and emails.
I'm starting this New Year with illustrator and textile artist Grace Forrest.
You can find her under Artists I Follow and she is a frequent contributor to this blog
with her insightful comments,
and a great supporter of Whitney High's art students.
I teach with several of her works I have purchased over the years 
when I do my Slow Stitch and Art Quilt Units.
She moved from New Mexico to Northern California this past year
and just went thru that horrible Paradise Fire that came within 3 miles of her home and animals.
She took the time to write to me during this time 
to let me know that one of the things she packed into her car to rescue during the fire
was the special little ceramics pot she bought from my student Sarah Oh.
That touched my heart in such a big way that I wrote to Sarah to let her know.
She was as moved as I was and probably dropped Grace an email.

Last Xmas Grace had commented on the tiny Porcelain Plates that I had made & featured 
for my school staff and how much she liked them.
So what you are seeing is one of the two plates I had saved for myself.
I wanted Grace to have it,
 and I was able to get it into the mail before Xmas was here.
Included in the mailing box was a wonderful illustrated card I had gotten at Taproot.
It's how I think about Grace as she moves thru the forest with her animals.
I also wrapped the tiny box which held the plate with a bit of handspun yarn from Mohair goats
which I know are near and dear to Grace.
This particular piece was made with several of the cut off porcelain pieces from the other plates 
that I didn't have a heart to throw away. 
So I just kept stacking and overlapping them on top of themselves,
gave them a couple of rolls with a rolling pin,
and used my mom's antique pattern sewing wheel to decorate the surface with,
plus a tiny stamp I had made with a seed pod.
I love that Grace now has it among her treasures.
I'm guessing it measured all of 1 3/4" by 3 1/2 ".
Very tiny with a bit of ceramics watercolor and Transparent glaze over top.
Enjoy  Grace!

Happy New Year All! 

6 comments:

  1. What a kind gift for Grace! I'm sure she will appreciate it to its fullest extant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace is ... hmmm, amazing beyond words to describe. How wonderful to see this connection between you two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love her and her blog and her beautiful way with cloth an design. I teach with her blog all the time.

      Delete
  3. i LOVE seeing all this here, and then look over my shoulder to see
    the this little bowl on the altar just near Sarah Oh. It holds the
    Nag Champa incense cone perfectly.
    You are the embodiment of Love to send such Beauty.
    I look so forward to reading on...Love and Love to you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like the wee piece. It brought me much joy sending it to you, and I love that you have it next to Sara's pot. Sending you lots of love Grace xoxoxoxo

      Delete