Monday, January 28, 2019

BROKEN GLASS

MOSAIC FRAMES
BEGINNING 3-D ART
glass, mirror & pottery shards, misc. beads & buttons, wood frames, colored sanded grout
& paper collage accents

I think one of the favorite assignments of the year for my 3-D kiddos
are making these Mosaic Frames.
They learn how to cut glass and grout, 
both of which are super fun,
and extremely satisfying.

I thought junior Kiana Hernandez made one of the most beautiful designs
using a combination of paper collage text with clear glass over top,
and milky glass & pottery shards.
Her soft color scheme and floral design was gorgeous.

Next up were two 8th graders,
 Kira Curry & Heer Patel,
both choosing floral designs.
I really liked how Kira limited her color palette to a monochromatic one
using mirror and black glass shards to compliment her pink glass.
Heer picked a primary scheme to work within and also choose to include
dimensional round glass used in brandy snifter decor.
Those are really difficult to grout around and I warn the kids ahead of time,
but Heer made it work beautifully.

Here is a close-up of 8th grader Bhumika Kalaimalai's.
She is a very talented designer and has been featured several times this and last year as well.
She found broken sea shells and combined them with glass & mirror.

Two of my favorites were these by senior Sophie Yang and 8th grader Sophia Oporto.
Sophie (left) had the most difficult frame to grout.
I believe it took her all day long and she had to get permission from all her teachers 
so she could miss their classes and finish her grouting.
It's really critical to finish the grouting at one time.
The reason it took so long was because she used a huge variety of dimensional
pieces in her frame.
In other of words if all the pieces are on the same plane,
it's easy to grout,
but if your pieces are all kinds of different heights,
man oh man it's challenging.
As you can see below she had a button that was really flat next to a huge tile piece
 that was really high (bottom right).

Sophia had a similar problem.
I'm think hers took her about 2 1/2 hours to grout.
She created handmade polymer pieces to incorporate into her design.
We see piano keys and a violin & it's bow.
And then the music notes and color scheme pull her frame all together.


Here we see frames by junior Dustine Ansiboy & junior Kareema Mohamed.
Dustine found a broken plate that worked fabulously in her format,
and Kareema chose a very difficult design to pull off.
She morphed her yellow/oranges into her pinks and reds
(see my garden sphere that took me a year to pull off here).
Hats off to you Kareema! 

Two more 8th graders made incredible frames as well,
Emma Bertel & Alaa Malabeh.
Emma chose to use various height pieces,
hanging in there to grout it.
I believe it took her at least 3 hours.

What I really enjoyed about Alaa's were the pops of coppery oranges, tans & browns.
Subtle and sophisticated. 

I really enjoy the pieces where the kids incorporate pottery shards.
I think it's because my mother & aunt used to play tea party with me
when I was quite young,
bringing out their beautiful hand-painted tea cups and saucers,
mostly made in England.
To this day I collect stunning plates to use in up-cycled projects
and I love sharing them with my students.
I've found some new beauties for this years kids.
Like this next and last one below.
We end with this brilliant work created by junior Rachel Tibayan.
She has it all going on her,
the paper collage text showing, glass, tiles, pottery shards.
It's just gorgeous Rachel.
And she did it all in a neutral color scheme.
Bravo!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm imagining glass shards and my fingers curl protectively into my palms at the very thought. These are all amazing, too much for one visit, so I'll be back. But while you wait, I'll leave you with kudos for what it must take to make those edges work, both inner and outer. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprisingly we have very few accidental poking from the glass. The piece that are the most dangerous to work with for some reason are the mirror pieces. So far I'm the only one to have gotten stabbed this year Ha! And I know better.

    ReplyDelete