Wednesday, January 30, 2019

MINITURES

CLAY & FIBER VESSELS
INTERMEDIATE 3-D ART
clay, natural & manmade fibers, wood, wire, & sawdust firing

Last years senior,
 Rachel Kannampuzha,
outdid herself with these two exquisite vase forms. 
I so wish I had photographed them next to something like a coffee mug,
so you could appreciate how tiny and delicate they were.
The first one is probably only 3 1/2 " inches high by 3" wide at its top rim.
The second one is even more petite,
about 3" by 2".  
I couldn't figure out which one I loved more.
Her craftsmanship in both was impeccable,
and I felt they belonged in a gallery setting.

Her requirements were to build a small pinch pot out of clay,
and to pierce holes for attaching fiber, wood spokes, twigs or wire at a later date
for a mixed media work.
I directed Rachel to my Pinterest board on Ceramics 
where I've saved many examples of this construction technique.
Before she began she made several sketches of her design ideas 
so she would know where to pierce her holes.
Next we sawdust fired both and then she went to town embellishing them.
In this sweet one above she used many different materials to decorate with;
waxed linen, wood spokes, thin leather cording, and pine needle weavers.
Brilliant Rachel!!

When she turned these two pieces in to be graded,
I made such a fuss over how lovely they were,
that on her last day of her senior year,
she walked into my classroom and gifted me with the piece above.

I almost fell over!
 I was so thrilled to be given such an incredible work of love and beauty.
Thank you Rachel,
it is on permanent display in my studio home on the fireplace mantel where
I can see it everyday and remember you,
and the beauty and innate talent you brought into my classroom.
I miss you and look forward to catching up one of these days.

5 comments:

  1. you make a difference - so beautiful that your student recognizes that xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Judy Martin, I am so in awe of you and your textile art. I'm beyond thrilled you took a peek at my blog and students work, let alone left a comment. Thank you so much for visiting. Can't wait to share this news with my students. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, Judy Martin, I am so in awe of you and your textile art. I'm beyond thrilled you took a peek at my blog and students work, let alone left a comment. Thank you so much for visiting. Can't wait to share this news with my students. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel, I so wish I could show you the one I have. Exquisite is the perfect word to describe it.

      Delete