Friday, July 27, 2018

SO VERY THIRSTY

 I'm just crazy in love with Hydrangeas,
all sizes, all colors.
I've bought them for myself and others,
but just couldn't manage to keep mine alive here in the Southland of California.
So I decided to take a couple plants up to the cabin to try them out there.
This is my largest one, 
and also the one that's been in the ground the longest.
I believe it's been there about 4 years now.
I can't tell you how many times I've almost lost it because of lack of water
during the summer months.
But this year it has finally taken off.
I threw a rusty old can around the stems this winter 
thinking it might make cool changes in the colors of the blooms.
This is a picture of it above when it started blooming 2 weeks ago,
a fairly unimpressive light pink.
And then another bloom opened last week,
and oh man oh man did I get excited!!
And now this week,
can you believe it????!!
This is the same plant but seeing it from the backside of the first photo.
It's moving from light pink thru some lovely lavenders and finally to that gorgeous blue-violet.
It's been so worth the wait and all the watering.
And now I know why in the recent movie The Judge with Robert Downey Jr., 
 the last thing he said to his wife was "Don't forget to water the Hydrangeas".
They are very, very thirsty critters.

2 comments: