Tuesday, July 24, 2018

AN ALL TIME FAVORITE

Retired Air Force Servicewoman,
1994 Whitney High graduate,
and Outstanding Ceramics student for me back in the day,
Wendy Hertel,
came to visit me in my classroom this past school year.
She wondered if she still possessed her throwing skills on the potter's wheel.
I told her to go for it while she was visiting.
What was so amazing 
was that after all those years she remembered where I kept the clay tools.
the batts, and the clay.
I loved how she made herself at home,
as if she had never left.
The current students were fascinated with her,
and her confidence.
What wasn't surprising to me was that she had retained all her throwing skills.
We all do who learned this global skill,
like riding a bike,
like learning how to draw, ski, walk.
She threw two pots.  
What she didn't have time to do was to come back the next day and trim the bowls.
So I told her I'd do it for her then mail one to her and keep the other.
This one was my favorite of the two,
thus the packing fuff around it.
It's flying off this week to Maryland where Wendy retired.
What Wendy doesn't know is that I blew it when I was trimming the piece.
I accidently went thru the bottom and made a hole in it.
Dang!!
That's what I should have said in my classroom in front of the kids,
hee hee.
I think I might have said something else.
Opps.
Anyways,
I believe I've told you all before that I love when something goes arye
because it forces me to come up with a more creative solution.
And I was bound and determined to save this piece.
So to her thrown pot, 
I handbuild a false bottom and allowed the seam to show.
Then I found a cool stamp and pressed it into the center.
I also took that stamp and pressed it around the outside top lip
and allowed the lip to stretch and buckle a bit so it would work visually with the organic seam
in center of piece.
To finish off the pot I first bisqued then glaze fired it to 2400 degrees.
Before it went into the glaze fire I stained the whole piece with Red Iron Oxide,
then dipped it into Transparent glaze.
I love how it turned out and I so hope Wendy will as well.
Farewell sweet pot,
godspeed as you make your way to her.

7 comments:

  1. I cannot tell you again how much I love this!! Your room has always been a place of calm and peace and I spent so many high school (and college) hours in here because you always let me come back. I know that you have touched the artistic souls of hundreds of students over the years and I am so glad to have been a part of this special place! I love you!!! -love Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy for your heartfelt words, and it's why I don't think I'm ever going to be able to retire. I just love working with you young ones and sharing the arts with so many. I love you too xoxooxo

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful collaborative effort ... and while I tend to avoid current catchphrases and trendy terms, this does indeed feel like the essence of wabi sabi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz!! Happy Summer, still working on my India bag. Ha ha! My goal is to finish it before summer ends.

    Wendy was such an amazing talent as well as her brother, and we all grew very close when they went thru several of my art classes. She and brother Mat have always kept in touch after all these years. Both of them decorated Air Force Service People, now both retired. I have so much love and respect for the two of them and it was an honor to collaborate with Wendy on this pot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel.
      I just this last year went to Wendy's surprise retirement party from the Air Force. It was so great to see so many from the Class of 94. Several of them are now in the Education Field. In fact, one of them is coming to our school as our new V.P. That should be interesting! ha ha I remember how fun he was in the classroom.

      I almost died when I busted thru the bottom of the pot. But I really like how it turned out with the false bottom and stamped lip.

      Hope your summer has been relaxing!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Hazel.
      I just this last year went to Wendy's surprise retirement party from the Air Force. It was so great to see so many from the Class of 94. Several of them are now in the Education Field. In fact, one of them is coming to our school as our new V.P. That should be interesting! ha ha I remember how fun he was in the classroom.

      I almost died when I busted thru the bottom of the pot. But I really like how it turned out with the false bottom and stamped lip.

      Hope your summer has been relaxing!

      Delete