Monday, July 30, 2018

SO MANY TALENTED 7TH GRADERS

VALUE SCALES
7TH GRADE ART WHEEL - 2ND QUARTER - 2017-2018
graphite & some colored pencil on drawing paper

It never ceases to amaze me that at this school for academically gifted children,
we also have so many gifted young artists.
It is such a pleasure to teach these young ones.
They bring so much skill & creativity to our art department.
Let's take a look at these 2nd Quarter kid's very first assignment.
One of the most gifted artist's in this group of 31 kids was Audrey Cho.
Just look at the skill level this child is coming to me with.
So sophisticated!
Even the border is cool!

Next we have this super clean piece by Kayla Vicencio.
It's very unusual for 7th graders to have this level of craftsmanship on their first assignments.
Beautifully done Kayla!

What I really enjoyed about Hanna Estrada's piece was the story she is telling thru her design,
as did Audrey above.
But also the very subtle touch of blue colored pencil she applies overtop the graphite.
Lovely!

And then there is Ben Chen who never seemed to be with me in class,
if you know what I mean,
but then he'd turn in really delightful & creative pieces.
Talk about telling a story here.
Great job Ben!

But of all of these, 
my favorite belongs to Zoe Hoksbergen.
It so reminded me of a children's book illustration.
In fact I liked it so much,
she allowed me to buy it to teach with next year.
Thank you Zoe,
this piece is highly inspirational in it's childlike innocence.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my ... so much to see and to say. But this morning we are embarking on a 3500 mile road trip, so later my friends, later ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a wonderful trip. Are you going to the shore on the East Coast??

      Delete
    2. Have a wonderful trip. Are you going to the shore on the East Coast??

      Delete
  2. Back from our voyages with many tales to tell from Taos to Glenwood Springs, Colorado to Santa Fe to Palo Duro (the Grand Canyon of Texas).

    But here ... I am loving Audrey's boat, which called to mind Hans Christian Andersen's Steadfast Tin Soldier. Like you, I am smitten by the border work.

    I do hope we'll be seeing more of Hanna's care-full imagery ...

    Kayla's mysterious shadows along the bottom leave me wondering ...

    Ben's piece echoes the heat of a Texas summer sun ...

    And I especially like the variation in the trunk of Zoe's tree on the left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You visited two of my favorite places. Taos & Santa Fe. The skies of New Mexico are so incredible. I've only visited once in my early 30's but the state left a lasting impression on me. I always tell my students if they ever want to find me when I'm my 80's, 90's and 100's, I'm hoping to be living in Taos. Just like Georgia.

      Delete
    2. You visited two of my favorite places. Taos & Santa Fe. The skies of New Mexico are so incredible. I've only visited once in my early 30's but the state left a lasting impression on me. I always tell my students if they ever want to find me when I'm my 80's, 90's and 100's, I'm hoping to be living in Taos. Just like Georgia.

      Delete