Thursday, June 7, 2012

Hard and Fast

That's how it was for me when I recently saw a tease of Diane Savona's work on Morna Crite-Moore's blogsite, and fell instantly, deeply in love with her work.  This first piece that I'm showcasing, "Fossil Strata", is like magic for me.  I could stare at it for hours and marvel at her handwork, her composition, her subtle colorways, and her choices of sewing notions. 

Diane says:
My art is constructed of salvaged linens, found at the local equivalent of archaeological digs -garage sales. Once-common crocheted doilies and embroidered tablecloths are becoming extinct.  By presenting them as unearthed fossil specimens, I hope to change viewers perception of our textile heritage. 

Domestic Markings #2

Domestic Markings #3

Visit Diane's website and see other series she is also working on.  These next 2 pieces are based on maps, and aerial views of the disasters in New Orleans and Japan
Hurricane, New Orleans
Chalmette section

close up view

Tsunami, Japan
close-up

These next 2 she calls her Fossil Garment Series in which she deconstructs garments and overlays them on top of her strata work. 
Landscape of a Past Civilization

Overgrown Fossil
I hope you get a chance to explore her site for a real treat.

2 comments:

  1. I am impressed, I've to say. I hardly ever discover a blog that is both informative and entertaining. And let me inform you, you might have hit the nail on the head. Your put up is vital; the matter is one thing that not many individuals are talking intelligently about. I am very completely satisfied that I stumbled throughout this in my search for something regarding it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome stuff, thank you and keep coming with these, will be back again.

    Kind Regards,

    Colin Seal
    check out the post right here

    ReplyDelete