Friday, June 15, 2012

Quilt Weaving - Student Work

I tried Jude Hill's quilt weaving technique this year with my 3rd year 3-d kids, and I was really pleased with the results.  I had them start by watercoloring on bleached muslin first, in various colors, and setting the color with the heat of an iron.  Then they ripped those cloths into strips and wove a base for their quilts.  Next they appliqued shapes and put embroidered touches on as well. 
This very sweet, delicate piece was created by senior Kelsea Lee.  Look closely at her embroidered details.  Just lovely Kelsea.

In this next piece by senior Nandi Best, you can really see her watercolored, woven strips before she began adding all her details.  I really like the subtle gradations you can achieve with the watercolors.
Nandi's finished piece is below.
And a close up to see the incredible amounts of effort Nandi puts into her work.
Thank you Jude for your inspiration!

2 comments: