Sunday, December 18, 2022

TALK TO THE PAW

 by Casapinka on Ravelry
is a wonderfully fast, asymmetrical cowl scarf,
knit almost entirely in garter stich.
 And a few yarn overs at the side for a lace edging.
Trying to remember where I first saw this pattern/kit 
and I 'm pretty it was on Knit Stars Newsletter from their store in Tulsa, Ok.
I honestly don't remember when I started or finished it
but my guess would be at the beginning of 2022
and done by March 2022.
The yarn the kit came with is a lovely and soft single ply with a slight halo.
And the Cat Paw Stitch was fun to learn 
then incorporate in between the color shifts.
After I completed the piece I realized I got the colors out of order.
Not the first time I've goofed up a pattern,
but I still loved it.
I sent it thru the mail to my son's dear mother in law, Mary.
I had seen her a month earlier and she had lost so much weight and it was chilly.
I noticed she was bundled up even in the house,
 so I thought she might enjoy the scarf around her neck.
Her daughter Nicole told me she wore it everyday until she passed in May.
It was meant to be.
Nicole wanted to give me the scarf back the day Mary left us 
but I wanted her to keep it for herself.
I haven't been brave enough to ask Nicole what she did with it.
I was so hoping she put it around her mothers neck to be buried in.
One of these days I may ask.
But right now at the Holidays it's just too soon and we are missing Mary too much.
But I know Mary has hooked up with my Mom
 and they are working their magic to watch over us all.
I'm sure that's why my ex and my husband Jim
 are recovering from their terrible ordeals.
More to come on that topic on another post.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story.. Thank you for sharing . Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverly, I sleep every nite under her quilt she made for me last Xmas. When I opened the box in front of everyone Xmas morning I started crying like a baby because I knew she didn't have a lot of time left with us. It's still so heartbreaking after her brave and long fight that she didn't make it. She will be forever in my heart and thoughts.

      Delete
  2. after my mom died I found great comfort in having some of her clothing ... 14 years on and I still have a couple of her shirts that I wear ...

    so glad to here that Inar and Jim continue to recover ... may you and yours all have a peaceful holiday and a health-full new year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Liz, me too on my mother's clothing. Just to be able to smell her on them. She had this soft quilted pillow protector under her pillowcase that I still get out every once in a while and try to smell it for her scent. Sadly, it's not there anymore but I can't bear to part with it knowing she laid her head on it every nite. BTW, I love reading your stories about you and your family when you were a youngster. You write so beautifully. One of your many gifts.

      Delete