Thursday, December 24, 2020

A TREE FOR MY MOTHER

When my mother,
 Rose Patricia, 
passed 13 years ago at the age of 92 after a 10 year battle with Alzheimer's,
I gathered her favorite Xmas ornaments that she treasured and several she had made, 
and started the tradition of decorating a separate tree for her at my husbands home
(I also decorate a larger tree at my home/studio with all my children's ornaments).

When I married Jimmy,
 he had a smallish, very lovely cashmere tree that he gave me for my mom.
But I've got to be honest here,
many of my mother's decorations that she loved or made were pink,
and as a child and teen growing up I hated those and that color!
And she always said to me.
"Debra Ann, 
when you grow up and have your own home,
 you can decorate your tree however you want,
and you'll be able to tell your kids too bad if they don't like it."
Well, 
fortunately,
 my kids never complained as they were growing up 
and loved helping me put up the tree and ornaments.  
Maybe because the tree was mostly all about them,
Ha ha!
Below is a picture of one of my mother's trees when I was growing up,
YUCK!
This one is from 1968 with myself and first pup Petite
(of course my mother would dye her "pink" at Easter time,
but that's a whole other story).
Let's see,
 I would have been 13 here I wearing one of my Square Dance dresses
 because it was the only red garment I had for Xmas.
Yes, we square danced in the 1960 and early 70's,
with my moms Square Dance Club.
I came to love it eventually.
 
But what is so funny is that as I've aged into my golden years,
yes,
I'm 64,
although until a few days ago I thought I was still 63.
😠😠
I find I'm very drawn to antique pinkish ornaments
 that I buy and add to my mother's tree in her memory.
These are the two I found and purchased for her this year.
She would have gotten a big kick out of my change of heart.
Funny how things come around. 
This sweet little cupcake is less then an 1" by an 1".

The acorn is from a friends private collection and was gifted to me this year.
Very old he told me and I love the decorative cap that it hangs from.
You don't see that anymore.
It's about an 1" by 2" long.

This next one I found last year in an antique store up by our cabin and it's one of my favorites.
Anything to do with home and hearth resonates with me.
Very tiny too,
about an 1 1/4" by 1 1/2".

Another favorite from several years back is this slow stitched piece made by Deliana Park,
ex-English teacher and dear friend at Whitney High.
During her free conference period she attended my Beginning 3-D course and learned to embroider.
I adore this tree design she came up with.
Another year she also took my Beginning 2-D class and learned to draw.
I always loved having the teachers at Whitney take my classes with the kids. 
And the students loved it too.
They got to know their teachers on an entirely different more personal and fun level.

And this little beauty is a new purchase this year from one of my favorite art galleries in Tustin.
It's a hand blown Rutabaga,
again pink just seems to be calling me.
My mother must be pushing me into this "pinkish" zone.
I love that she's still with me and guiding me.
I especially miss her during the holidays.
Xmas is not the same without her handmade Italian cannoli's.
Only one relative has finally mastered her recipe.
Several have tried so I give a shout out to my cousin Linda Ann.
 
Merry Christmas to all of you and have a Wonderful New Year!

4 comments:

  1. I always wanted a pink bedroom, to which my parents were absolutely opposed ... until they finally decided to "let" me have wallpaper and furniture in a dusky rose color ... definitely not pink, but I didn't really have any choice

    now, many years on, I much prefer the soft roses to the candy pinks ... and your vintage ornaments are perfect exemplars (the acorn especially) ...

    Merry Christmas to you and yours ... and to all your trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing your stories about your young life Liz, both you and Hazel. Thanks for sharing and Merry Xmas to you too! xoxoxox

      Delete
  2. What beautiful ornaments and what a lovely tribute to your mother! Hope your Christmas was a special one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost Happy New Year Jen! We had such a nice Xmas Eve and Day. I know we supposed to say in and safe but we didn't. Went to Grandkids on Xmas Eve and my daughter's Xmas day. We tried to keep and do everything outside as much as we could. So we just savored every moment with loved ones.

      I find I so enjoy writing about my mother and looking back, and discovering how she shaped me in so many different ways, and how most of it stuck. I so wish I'd have learned to cook from her. I was just never interested enough to pay attention. And she tried many times to involve me, especially in her mother and father's Italian and Sicilian recipes that I long for now. Oh well! It's funny how both of my children have learned to cook despite me. Ha ha! Have a beautiful week. We finally got some fabulous rain all last night. The plants are so happy. And lots of snow is still coming down at cabin according to my neighbor. The pines, oaks and bulbs have got to be sucking it all up for another dry year.

      Delete