Thursday, December 19, 2019

A WAR ZONE

Recently I posted about the record snowfall we had at the cabin.
Well I finally got up to see it myself.
As I walked the mountain with the dog it looked like no home was spared damage.
Every yard had several trees down.
Some in yards, some on roofs, some on cars.
And worst cases,
100+ year old trees that completely came uprooted and fell to the ground.  
I saw at least 3 of those.
They were big thick ones like you see in the background in the photo above on the left.
It was devastating.
Above is a piece of the tree limb that broke and fell across our jeep.
Jim had to saw it off in parts because it was too heavy to pull off the jeep.
So now he's in the process of sawing it into firewood.
But what a mess!

This is a huge tree that spans over my tiny little studio.
In the photo below is a close up of  where the limb broke.
Luckily it didn't crash onto the studio but instead into part of the yard two photos down.

You can see how close it was to the edge of the studio building.

And right behind that tree was another.
You can see where it cracked at the top
and that the front most tree is holding up the branch from hitting the roof of studio.
Don't know yet how we are going to retrieve that limb.

And another tree that has broken in half behind the main cabin.

But the one I'm most sad about was my son's Japanese Maple 
that I've been nursing along for years until he is in his first home to plant it.
Look at how the limb split off from the main stalk.
My husband said maybe I can tape it together and it might fuse itself back eventually.
I'm going to research it and give it my best try.

But we are so blessed that we didn't have more serious damage like others did.

No comments:

Post a Comment