Monday, December 14, 2015

WILD - Part IV

ECO-DYED BANNERS
BEGINNING 3-D ART

Here then is a group shot of all the finished pieces.
It was so exciting to see them come to fruition,
and it's been an absolute pleasure sharing the process from start to finish.



Let's first take a peek at how Ms. Park did.
She thoroughly enjoyed the process,
and her piece ended up being one of the class favorites.
Some close-ups.

She was inspired by the banner created last year by alum Anna Lee
and the sweet little leaves Anna cut and sewed on.
As you can see,
Deliana put incredible time and effort into the construction.
My very favorite part of Deliana's banner is the tiny dragonfly she embroidered on.
Can you find it?
I was also impressed with how she reused the bundling string
(bottom right)
so very creative!!
I'm so proud of you Ms. Park!!!!


This next beauty was made by 8th grader Malia Pulido,
and another class favorite.
Malia has brought her impeccable craftsmanship skills to the banner,
and the piece is so well composed and balanced.
Super impressive for one so young.
(A shout out to her parents,
Mark and Gloria Pulido,
both outstanding ex-students of mine)
Malia is a young artist in the making,
and because of her and so many other wonderful 8th graders,
I just might not retire yet,
 so I can watch them grow up into even more remarkable artists.


"Shine Like the Sun" is the work of senior Charity Lizardo.
I wish I would have taken a close up so you could see all her creative ideas going on,
like the braiding of her strips,
and all her fun embellishments.


All my 8th graders are soaring this year.
Elliana Lee is no exception.
What an elegant piece she has created.
Love that Mother of Pearl button she found.
It's so perfectly placed and a great accent.


Love, love love this next one by senor Eileen Wang.
The yellow colorways against the purples are spectacular,
in addition to her amazing craftsmanship skills.
It really satisfies my inner aesthetic.


And how clever is this next one by 8th grader Iris Lin?
I really like how she incorporated the feather,
and those adorable little tassels hanging from the wooden stick.
I collected a lot of the branches they used
 along with the feathers from up around our cabin.
I just love sharing these finds with my students.
I also really appreciate all the layers that Iris has built up.
It adds so much interest for the eye.
(students were required to build up at least 3 layers)


I did think to get a close up of senior Christine Caballes's piece.
Those two little hearts were the sweetest addition.
Also note the black and white polymer bead.
The kids were required to incorporate one of their polymer beads or buttons
that they had made in an earlier unit into this banner.



And this very pretty piece is by senior Clarissa Gutierrez.
I really like all the delicate laces and embroidery she brought in
as well as how she figured out how to mount her feather. 
A close-up below.
So lovely and delicate,
just like Clarissa  :)


We saw senior Jenna Llamas working on her banner earlier
weaving some of her strips together.
Above and below
 you can she that she incorporated that piece
 into the upper left corner of her banner.
Love her directional arrows as well as the flower pieces she couched on.


This next one was done by junior Insha Khan.
Her silk backdrop eco-dyed piece turned out amazing 
and contrasts so beautifully with her lighter smaller components
I wish I had a more focused pix below of her close-up.
I really like how she thought to drape the eco-dyed string over the twig
so that she is reusing everything from her bundle.
And checkout her cute slim flower holder.



And I want to end with my absolute favorite,
senior Hapshiba Kwon's.
She got everything going on that I asked for and so much more.
She has also inspired me to incorporate the use of text into the banners for next year.
Her use of color and contrast is very pleasing,
as is her design arrangement.
Her embroidery work is lovely and well thought out,
and she's got some cute little surprises like the sideways flower pouch above.
Love, love , love your banner Hapshiba.
You rocked this assignment!!!

I hoped you enjoyed seeing this assignment from beginning to end.
The kids really love when you send in your comment!!

13 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm going to have to come back to comment ... there's so much to see! In the meantime, here's a link to the textile artist I mentioned: http://www.sharonmccartneyart.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, her work s fabulous!! Thank you so much for sharing her. I will visit her site often for inspiration.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Interesting, since yellow and purple don't usually send me, but Elliana and Eileen's pieces were the ones I kept going back to. Eileen's has such incredible verticality, while Elliana has great horizontal elements even though the overall composition is vertical. Great stuff, really keeps the eye moving!

    I'm actually working on a textile collage right now and salute everyone for meeting the three-layer challenge ... which is not at all easy.

    And thanks Deb for putting this all together. It is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Liz, I'm so glad you liked them, and enjoyed all four parts. Can't wait to stop by and see what you are up to on your blog.

      Delete
  3. I love the close up photos and commentary! Thank you foremost for teaching us, inspiring us, and then, encouraging/ celebrating us constantly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thrilled you were able to take another class with me. Your energy & funny stories about your kids delight us everyday. And your enthusiasm for learning has taken us all to another level in this class. You are a dear friend and am thrilled to be able to share something I love so much with you.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing the close up pictures and commentary. Your celebration and encouragement make us all feel like artists...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it Deliana, that means so much to me xoxoxoxox

      Delete
  5. These are just amazing. Awesome work by your students!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Jude, the kids are going to be thrilled to see your comment! They know how much I admire you and talk about you all the time. xoxoxo

      Delete
    2. Thank you Jude, the kids are going to be thrilled to see your comment! They know how much I admire you and talk about you all the time. xoxoxo

      Delete