Friday, December 18, 2015

MY KNUTTY KNITTERS

KNITTED SCARF SAMPLERS
INTERMEDIATE 3-D ART
hand dyed wool yarn & handmade knitting needles

We saw these cutie patooties earlier in the school year dyeing up their yarns. 

And here they are later in the quarter learning to knit with the needles they made.


I have 8 Intermediate students this year and we are a tight bunch;
today exchanging our Secret Santa gifts.

I taught the kids Nine Knit Patterns,
and they used their own colorful dyed yarns to learn the patterns 
and make the samples with.
They were also allowed to incorporate some variegated solids 
I had on hand for contrast.
Then they sewed their samples together to create a scarf.
Some even sewed the ends together to create an Infinity Scarf.
The results were amazing,
the learning of this new global skill difficult.
But all the kids hung in there,
and one has just recently finished her first knit sleeveless top.
So let's take a look see.

Senior Kristine Luong took to knitting like a duck to water,
and had the courage to also learn a Log Cabin Pattern (mid right).
(note: these scarfs had not been blocked yet,
that came later after I had taken the pix)

Senior Antoniette Jabat used neutrals to compliment her glorious dyed blue yarn.

And senior Hazel Cruz turned her Autumny feeling creation
 into an Infinity Scarf. 

Senior Amber Wu balanced out her scarf with bold stripes.
And make sure to check out her Intarsia Sample at the top center.
Looks like a prism.

Here are the last four.

We start with senior Liana Chie,
and her yummy sherberty dyed yarns.

Next we have junior Jacqueline Yu.
Jac is the one who just finished her first top.
She,
 like Kristine,
 took to the knitting skill very quickly.

And our only male,
 senior William Kim,
was another quick study.

And lastly junior Shreya Sheth 
has knit this strikingly beautiful piece.

I'm so proud of all of you for not giving up 
and conquering this challenging global skill.

By the way,
I also taught them to crochet,
because all of them were required to put an edging around their scarfs.

7 comments:

  1. If I wore a hat it would be off to all of you ... I never got past knit 2 purl 2 and my edges always curled (maybe I needed to learn crochet, right?) Kudos to all for creating scarves that have far more personality than anything I've seen in the stores this shopping season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Liz they are going to love your comment :)

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh Liz they are going to love your comment :)

      Delete
    3. I wonder if they realize how inspiring you all are to me ...

      Delete
    4. I don't think they do Liz, but I will sure let them know, you can count on that!!! Merry Xmas xoxoxox

      Delete
    5. I don't think they do Liz, but I will sure let them know, you can count on that!!! Merry Xmas xoxoxox

      Delete
  2. Im proud of these kiddos!! Knitting was hard for me to learn, & these look great!! :) -kaili

    ReplyDelete