Monday, October 8, 2012

The Loop & Leaf - Fine Yarns and Tea

Traveling thru Santa Barbara this past summer, I was able to take some time to explore yarn shops and found this gem in the downtown area.  Owner Celeste Varner has created a warm and inviting space to shop, chat and knit.  
The Loop and Leaf is located at 536 Brinkerhoff Ave., Santa Barbara. and the number there is 805-845-4696 in case you want to call for hours.  
The yarn shop is located in a wonderfully established neighborhood, in this sweet little house.  You can't miss it because of the knit wrapped tree in the front which gives it away.

I found all the ladies inside to be friendly and curious, and owner Celeste really knows her yarns and pattern books.  
And I really liked the comfortable knitting space for hanging out.  But what really caught my eye were the samples spread out throughout the place, like the felted bird below.  I liked the bird so much that I actually bought the book that the sample was made from.  It would make a fun new assignment.  

Another inspiration were the free form knitted hanging sculptures about the place like these two.  Done with the local driftwood and shells that wash up along the sand, I felt this too would be a terrific project for my 3rd year 3-d kids.  I found out that these works were created by Celeste's mother.  
So this shop along with Colors in Claremont are my two new favorite knit places to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment