Saturday, February 11, 2023

A FAVORITE SLOW STITCHER

Hazel's story cloth about 3" by 5" and her notecard above with another image of one of her story cloths

I was thrilled to be able to scoop up this brilliant story cloth 
by Hazel Monte of Handstories blog last month.
Her pieces speak to me so very strongly 
and I'm the lucky owner of several now.
Each one she makes are unique,
signed on the backside with their own special names.
the story cloth

So I've been thinking of how I can put them all together into a larger story cloth.
I think I have enough now to do that with.
I've been playing around with arrangements
and there are just so many ways to go.
a close-up

But honestly,
I feel I can't do them justice as Hazel would.
Hazel as you can see,
brings magic to scraps of cloth.
I know several of us send her remnants every now and then
plus she sources from old clothes that are dear to her,
and also supports other slow stitchers like Jude Hill
I'm wondering if I could commission Hazel to put them together for me?
Just a thought,
but a big one.

If you are new to her work let me give you some background.
Hazel hand dyes many of her pieces of cloth with natural dyestuffs.
I believe lately she has been playing with a vat of indigo.
She has an innate design ability that allows her to design as she stitches
which being a retired art instructor is a rare gift.
Most of us usually have to plan something out before we start, 
perhaps a rough sketch.
Rachel also has an uncanny skill with watercolor
and abstracting images that are purely delightful.

But what I find the most remarkable about Hazel's slow stitching
is the delicate quality of each piece she makes.
They are precious tiny gifts,
so small and lovely to hold in your hand,
so lightweight and soft.
A sensory experience for hand, eyes and hearts.
Her stitches are extremely tiny,
I really would love to watch her work one day to see how she moves her needle
and gets it to make that magic of hers.

And if you've never been to her blog site 
you will find that she is also a gifted story teller.
She is able to make you both laugh and cry.
I keep telling her she needs to write a book.

6 comments:

  1. Hazel is ... oh my, words fail me ... so just this, to say I share your love of her cloth making, her blogging, her daily paintings ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, she is truly special in so many ways. I bet she is so fun to hang out with!

      Delete
  2. A beautiful tribute to Hazel, Debra. Her stitchings are exquisite in color, theme and execution. I envy your ownership of enough of her pieces to put together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been collecting them for several years now. These delightful story cloths are getting harder and harder to collect as Hazel's followers grow. And I have given several of them as gifts over the years too. They are so very special as is dear Hazel.

      Delete
  3. this is a lovely post about Hazel. You are very generous, to collect her work, gift her work, and review her work on your blog. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you Judy, and thank you for your comment. It means so much to me that you check out my blog posts as I admire you and your stitching so very much. xoxox

      Delete