Monday, February 3, 2020

"ABC BABY YOU AND ME"

This is a sampler I began before Xmas 
that I purchased from my new favorite crafts store in Ojai called Cattywampus.
They were featuring it as a class but I wanted to give it a try on my own.
I have a lovely array of perle cottons that I've collected over the years,
not the exact colors called for in the pattern picture,
but I tried to get mine to match as close as possible.
The pix above is how much I got done before Xmas 
and the pix below is the finished sampler that I finished in January.

Both my son and daughter saw me working on it and wanted to know who I was making it for,
each hinting that they liked it.
Then my son Zach told me who'd really enjoy it was his new sister-in-law Jamie
who is newly pregnant with her first baby.
She and her husband are the sweetest young couple
 who are redoing an old Craftsman in the suburbs of Dallas, Texas.
Zach told me she's crazy about plants and uses them to decorate every room in her home.
 And he also thought it would look great in the baby's room.
When Zach's mother-in-law Mary saw it recently done, 
she told me Jamie is decorating the baby's room in a jungle theme in the colors I put in the sampler.
So Dallas, Texas,
 here it comes!
Woo Hoo!!!
So now I just need to find a frame for it.
If there is anyone out there who has framed a sampler,
do you suggest I put it under glass?
Not sure how to deal with it.
Liz from Texas,
how did you frame out all your incredible samplers?

In case anyone would like this pattern I photoed the maker here.

15 comments:

  1. My samplers got framed behind UV glass with spacers so the glass doesn't touch the cloth ... laced onto acid-free mat board (no glue or staples!)

    So, the glass does protect the cloth from sunlight and dust, but I've gotta be honest and say you lose the ability to touch ...

    These days, I'm more inclined to leave off the glass, which shortens the life of the piece, but makes it more visible within the frame. Or incorporate the piece into a larger cloth to make a coverlet that can be placed at the end of a bed as an accent or into a pillow that can be touched and loved on.

    Just my two cents worth ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I wanted to know Liz, thank you for your expertise!

      Delete
  2. And oh, good grief, I got so tied up in the question I forgot the most important thing: whatever you do, it's absolutely wonderful ... sure to be a treasured keepsake. I especially like the spider-webbed K and the U, which sings of new growth and spring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it Liz, every time I thought I was done with it, I'd look at it from afar and have to add just a bit more, then a bit more, and so forth LOL.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You are so sweet and kind Grace, thank you! And LOVE what you are doing with your collage pieces. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! A keepsake for a new baby is such a wonderful gift to give!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making baby gifts, because they are small and I can actually finish them before i loose interest. LOL I have a whole cabinet full of knitwear for when my my own grandbabies arrive. I've got my fingers crossed that my son and his new bride will be getting busy with babymaking soon ha ha!!

      Delete
  5. I love this Debbie, lucky person who receives this!...and seeing the letters I am now tempted to actually start stitching my stories for my books....you mention it's a pattern..I'll check it out

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so lovely Mrs. Sposa!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! Who is this????

      Delete
    2. This is Madison, sorry I didn't add my name for the little icon

      Delete
    3. Hi Kiddo, thanks for letting me know who you are hee hee xoxoxoox

      Delete
  7. This is exquisite. xo
    frame it in shadow box stitched to watercolour paper
    or
    don't frame it but rather stitch it to a backing with big stitch and pin to wall.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You honor me so much Judy by responding to my question about display. You inspire me daily with your work, creativity and gift. Ohhh, I like the idea of framing it to a piece of watercolor paper then floating it in a shadow box. But I also like the idea of stitching it to a backing. Very cool ideas! Can I ask you what you do with the raw edges of the linen that I embroidered on? Do you turn them under or allow them to show? Or would a pinking shear edge suffice? Thank you Judy for taking your time to help me. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete