Thursday, March 7, 2019

KEEPING A TRADITION ALIVE

PUEBLO POTS
CERAMICS I
clay, sawdust firing, metallic rubbing compounds, embellishments

I have been studying Native American Arts & Crafts since junior college in the late 1970's.
I collect it, have taken numerous classes taught by Native Americans, 
and have thoroughly enjoyed teaching their traditional techniques
and sharing them with my kiddos. 
Here we see junior Richard Montes working on his Pueblo Pot after school
with my sweet little 7th graders completely absorbed and transfixed on his crafting.
Bombarding him with numerous questions,
Richard is patiently teaching them as he builds his pot.
This scene is why I don't want to retire.
Passing on what I know to a much younger generation who hopefully pass it on to others.
Creating wonderful memories that will stay in their hearts 
so they fondly remember their years at Whitney High in room 18.
Damn I love my job!

We begin with junior Lina Kim and her simply shaped pot.
But what makes it come alive 
is her gently curved diagonal stringing of beads with waxed linen thread,
and the lovely markings left by the sawdust firing.

It's so much fun to see how the students embellished these pots.
Each one is so unique and lovely.
The two above were made by senior Mary Esteban and junior Angela Mak.

Now check out the breathtaking marks left on this next piece from the firing
 by senior Michelle Hwang.
We all loved how she wrapped her strong diagonals strung with beautiful beads.

Here we have the work of juniors Michelle Son and Dustine Ansiboy.
Dustine chose to rub the metallic compounds on her piece before adding her embellishments.
What's very powerful to see on Michelle's piece 
is the high scheen resulting from the burnishing of the clay's surface with a smooth rock
as the clay dries from leatherhard to bone dry..

And last the piece de resistance by Richard the patient teacher above.
This was an extremely difficult form that Richard worked to
which required him to put in extra time after school and at lunchtime.
And not all our sawdust firings turn out this remarkable.
My assistant Alyssa experimented last year with all kinds of different resists.
I think we are seeing here how rock salt reacted in the firing to the clay.
We couldn't have asked for a more exquisite result and placement.
And the embellishments that Richard added are a perfect compliment to his wedding vase.
I believe he told me he was gifting this piece to his parents on their wedding anniversary.
Perfect!

5 comments:

  1. I just started reading a book entitled "Joyful" ... and I dare say Richard's pot is the very definition of joy

    I'll be back, I promise, to say more. But this post deserves the time to consider words worthy of the artistry here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee time ... with a grateful nod to ...

    Lina's sinuous line ...

    Mary's dangling beads ...

    the waxing gibbous moon shining within Michelle H's pot (and kudos for a brilliant overhead photo) ...

    knowing that Michelle S's burnishing will increase in beauty over time (having such a pot made by my younger daughter 16 years ago)

    wishing I could peer inside Dustine's pot, the opening calling one to look closer ...

    And Richard's most of all ... such an amazing construction, with its symmetry and breath-taking form ... blessed by a gift from the universe with the incredible marks of the sawdust firing ... his parents will surely treasure this creation forever and a day ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The credit for all photography goes to my Assistant & Alumni Alyssa Olea. She will really like your comment about the overhead photo. Thanks Liz!

      Delete
  3. these pots are exquisite! love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Saskia from my kiddos, they work so very hard for me, and I couldn't be more proud of them. xoxox

      Delete