Wednesday, March 6, 2019

FOR YOU GELLI

ARTISTIC INTERPRETATION
ALUMNI ART
ADVANCED 2-D ART
acrylic & oil paint, conte', charcoal, pen & ink, graphite & pastel

I asked Alumni Sarah Oh,
Class of 2018,
to send me a pix of her finished project from Art Center in Pasadena.
I'm not exactly sure what all the criteria was but this was an incredibly challenging assignment 
for a mere Freshman Art Major.
(I'm hoping Sarah will send in a comment and tell us exactly what hoops she had to jump thru)

Anyways I have a similar assignment for my 3rd year level 2-d kids 
in which they pick a famous Master artist,
research their style ,
then try to duplicate it using themselves as their subject matter.
But they only have to pick one Master!
It looks like Sarah had to pick 32.
Thirty two!!!!
You've got to be kidding!!
Did she even sleep for the semester?
And can you identify any of the Masters works here?
Sarah had to duplicate one of their famous portraits then use herself as subject matter
and in the Master Artists style and medium recreate her own portrait.
Of course then it looks like she had to mount them side by side and all together.
I just wonder if she clocked her hours on this assignment?

My current student in the Art III class,
senior Angelica Luza,
only has to pick one Master to research and work from.
And she doesn't have to create one of their originals,
only use herself and do her portrait in that artist's style.
She has picked Edward Hopper.
Can't wait to share it with you sometime next year.
(yes, I'm a year behind schedule posting, still)
Ha ha!
So stay turned.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Ms. Sposa!!
    Haha the assignment definitely took a lot out of me, but it was fun for me to do so that made this huge project a much more bearable one!
    It's really fun to be able to use a lot of different mediums and learn what I like/dislike!
    (Some of the pieces on there were also done in oil paint, so that was the biggest challenge for me~)
    So glad to see I'm still being posted on this blog! <3 <3
    I'll have to visit soon and show you what other things I've been up to hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah for your input, I forgot that some were in oil as well. You are amazing to have pulled all this off!!!

      Delete
  2. Good heavens ... I know there is much to be learned by copying and then applying the techniques of other artists, but 32? Seriously?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance Liz to read Sarah's comment. What a n incredible young woman she is.

      Delete
    2. I always come back to see what other comments have appeared ... so glad Sarah is continuing to keep you posted and that you are sharing so much of her work here!

      Delete