Monday, October 2, 2017

29 KIDS IN 55 MINUTES

3-D HAND FELTED CONSTRUCTIONS - PART I 
BEGINNING 3-D ART
hand dyed wool roving, soap & water

One of the most challenging parts of my day is switching from one prep to the next 
with 5 minutes between periods.
Last school year the admin. gave me 29 kids in the Beginning 3-D class,
(this year 34 kids),
a large number for any lab class.
So that when we do a large assignment like feltmaking here,
it's an extreme challenge to figure out where to put everyone,
and to be ready for them before they even arrive.
Now keep in mind, 
the period before these young ones came in I had 35 kids working in my Beginning 2-D class.
Check out and set up for something on this scale like feltmaking 
takes at least 15 minutes for each child,
clean up at least 10 minutes.
So in a 55 minute class the kids actually only get to work for a total of 30 minutes.
When I yell clean up,
there is a big collective groan because the kids are just starting to get into what they are doing,
and it's really hard for them to stop and put things away.
Even worst,
this school year we only have Mondays and Thursdays that are regular 55 minute classes.
Tuesdays are only 45 minutes long so that teachers can collaborate the last hour of the day,
and Wednesdays and Fridays are 50 minutes long 
so that every teacher can be in their room for half an hour after lunch 
to give personalized help for kids who are struggling.
We get a 10 minute snack and a 30 minute lunch,
barely enough time,
 with not enough restrooms,
 for the entire school to eat and take care of business.
The other day I had my Fitbit on 
and I walked 5 1/2 miles and took 12 thousand steps from 7:30 a.m.to 2:55 p.m.
between my classroom, the office and the restroom.
I told my husband recently I feel like a chicken with my head cut off,
almost running from place to place to be ready for these children,
to get all the prep work done,
and then to teach them each step of the way.
And at the end of each day,
to pick up all the still useable tidbits off the floor,
to put up the stools and chairs that were forgotten to be put up, 
to straighten up the checkout counters & my desks,
to double check that all outlets are unplugged from irons, potters wheels, etc.,
the list is so long.
So you wonder,
how many calories did I burn that one day?
2100 ish.
Not enough ha ha,
I still have to hit the gym.
YUCK!
I just want to get out of my car when I get home from work and lay down and take a nap.
But oh no,
I have to make at least 2 stops everyday on my way home 
for art supplies for the next day's lessons.
Almost everything we use is consumable or breaks or gets lost
and has to be replaced.
But then I just look at those sweet faces,
the extreme concentration,
the beautiful results and creative energy going on,
and it renews me EVERY SINGLE DAY!
DAMN I LOVE MY JOB!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. You rock!

    And ooooo ... what's on the loom in that first pic?

    ReplyDelete