Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Fiesta Ornament Duo

This summer I was inspired by an article on paper quilts in Quilting Arts or Cloth Paper Scissors Magazine (can't remember which one) which featured the work of Chicago artist, Judy Coates Perez. When I visited her site http://www.judyperez.blogspot.com/ I saw these delightful fiesta ornaments. They were actually featured in the 2008 gift issue of Quilting Arts. So anyways I tried making a couple of these handpainted ornaments this summer thinking they'd be a great new assignmnet for my 3rd year 3-D students. But instead of doing them as individual ornaments I wanted to mount them side by side with copper mesh under them before I hand appliqued them to the quilted batting as I had seen Judy do in her site. I love teaching units that incoprpoate at least 2 to 3 different media. In these we would be using metal, textile paints, pearle cotton threads and fabric. Well, I never finished my sample, but hopefully I will soon cuz I'm really enjoying how it's working out. The saddest part of all is that I didn't get any 3rd year kids back this year because the ones who wanted the class couldn't fit it into their schedules. Oh well, there is always next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment